K-Tec

it looks like linear will have some serious competition.

More
18 years 8 months ago #22212 by martinastro
LOL LOL LOL :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #22215 by dmcdona
Martin - we still get 25% of the sky - and even more than that up to 2009+.

I'd be interetsed to know how quickly they can image and confirm an unknown object. The main advantage of amateurs is that they can respond quickly, as a group they can sweep large areas of sky and since they own their own equipment, there is no conflict with the people who bankroll the professional projects.

Even today, a good portion of SN search programmes are provided by amateurs. Whilst they are perceived as less risky than neo impacts (until they go off within a few light-years of earth :shock: ), amateurs have and will continue to provide a valuable service to the professionals. In recent weeks, the professionals have garnered support from amateurs in neutrino research.

So, whilst the potential of amateur neo discoveries is diminishing, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings... And even then, there are other areas amateurs can actively contribute.

Still, I agree with your sentiment totally - its sad that furture neo's will carry a sceintific name and number rather than something like 'MPL258965 TheDarkenessRocks'... :wink:

More
18 years 8 months ago #22222 by martinastro
Thanks Dave for that.

I heard one of the scopes will be online in 2006? but the complete solar system survey will not take place untill later. I thought this would interest you also as they claim they will be finding every Supernova, Nova, Variable star outburst that happens as well as every NEO that comes our way.

However as Brian Marsden once said...

' The funny thing is that in this modern mas-produced world so many groups and organisations set themselves up to make astronomical discoveries. Here is this group going to sweep up all the comets that come reasonably far above the horizon. This infra red - astronomy satellite is going to find scores of earth approaching asteroids way ahead of Palomar. But i am still waiting waiting for these discoveries. Their participants have talked endlessly about what they can do....but they have produced absolutely nothing! You - and a handful of other dedicated individuals around the world - go out, without a lot of fanfare, and you make the discoveries. Sometimes years may pass between discoveries (occasionally only 5 days), but they do come, because you know what you are doing, although you never know whether chance is going to be a friend or an enemy. So im ready now for your next discovery!'

Its a bit outdated but i still think Brians words hold true for amateurs.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 8 months ago #22231 by dmcdona
Amen! Brian puts it very well.

I guess there's a bunch of hurdles for the project to go through before its fully operational. When (and if - remember Hubble) it is, I'd be happy that 75% of the sky was being watched for a damaging impactor. I'd be a little concerned about the other 25% though. Perhaps a move to Hawaii is on the cards... :D

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds