K-Tec

What's that constellation?

More
18 years 7 months ago #22266 by Daveo
What's that constellation? was created by Daveo
Hey folks,

A few weeks ago I was looking at diagrams of the constellations in a bid to learn something about astronomy! But I gave up eventually.

But last night I noticed a figure in the sky that I recognised as one of the constellations I was looking at before, and it's there again now!

I think I remember it because it's fairly simple: it's just a line of 3 or 4 stars (or whatever!) in almost a straight line. I know that's a crappy description of it... It's in the North-West at the moment, I think.

Anywho, just wondering if anyone could gimme the name of it and I could try and navigate using that, since it's a clear night for astronomy, and I can't find the moon :( It'd be a good reference point, so I could find it on CyberSky or something, and try find other things using that.

(I can't find it on CyberSky, btw)

Thanks folks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22267 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: What's that constellation?

I know that's a crappy description of it...

Must.... hold back... snigger... :P

Ah no, in fairness Dave, I had a quick look outside but can't make out the 3 or 4 you're talking about, though that area is under some orange light pollution at the moment with the town lights.

Can you get an idea of the amount of sky they are covering? As a guide, hold out your hand in front of you at arms length, and use this guide:

Also note the general directing the stars are alligned e.g. north to south, southwest to north east etc. See if that can give the rest of us an idea of what you are looking at.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22268 by Daveo
Replied by Daveo on topic Re: What's that constellation?
:p

Made a mistake there, it's actually in the south-east, and upon googling for a few minutes I'm thinking that it's Orion's belt that I'm looking at! :shock: That seems to fit the description I made, doesn't it?

I didn't have a compass handy, but I had previously used a compass to draw the directions on this piece of paper which is on the window-sill beside me -- but it was upside down! :p

So it's in the south-east, and 3 stars jump out at me, which I gather are Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka? :D

Do you see it, Seanie?

More
18 years 7 months ago #22269 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: What's that constellation?
That is Orion your talking about I'd be certain. The belt is instantly recognisable. With a good binoculars you can make out the nebula a little below the belt. Then travel in almost a straight line from the belt - to the right - and you'll come to the Pleiades (Seven Sisters). That is one of my favourite sights in the sky. It's a cluster of stars - 7 of them are visible to the naked eye in a clear site but through binos it's spectacular.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 7 months ago #22270 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: What's that constellation?
Ah, the SOUTH-east! :D

Steve's right, it does sound like Orion you got there!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22271 by Eirikg

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds