K-Tec

Nova In Cetus?

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #22384 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Nova In Cetus?
I do recall that Nova Keith but i was inexperienced then and didnt know which star it was :oops: ...embarrassing i know but i do remember that S&T had an article on it which i cut out and stuck to my bedroom wall for inspiration as i was impressed with his dedication. Didnt he spent something like 600 hours or more searching with binoculars?

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22393 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Yeah, It was discovered by a guy called Perriera in Portugal, now there's persistance!!, I actually have a shot(s) of it, but I don't know who took them...i'm sure they won't ming me posting anyway...

Now tell me - how easy is this one? Simple!!!! :twisted:

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...AQL%20Dec%201999.jpg

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...ec%201999%20wide.jpg

Keith..

More
18 years 7 months ago #22429 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Nova In Cetus?
I'm just waiting for betelgeaux to blow, that'll be a show stopper. :wink: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #22449 by martinastro
Oh my...i can see that instantly even without the arrow! Thats very bright indeed. Thanks for the images..i like the 2nd one best! At least i know id be able to spot a nova that bright no problem at all...as long as its not in Sagittarius lol..im very familar with its deep sky treasures but wouldnt be as confident about the naked eye stars to a deep level...how about u Keith?

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 7 months ago #22518 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
If (when) Betelgeuse blows, it's estimated to shine at magnitude -10 minimum :shock:

but wouldnt be as confident about the naked eye stars to a deep level...how about u Keith?

I'm not bad, I could recognise a new nova probably over magnitude 6 and above, but I have to back that up :? :P

Keith..

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #22521 by martinastro
Yea i know what you mean. I feel confident i know the naked eye stars VERY well and i know specific areas of the milkyway to 5th and 6th magnitude but there are other areas i wouldnt know so well like Sagittarius as i tend to have a better memory for the circumpolar milkyway which i can see all time which aids in the familarisation of star patterns. This learning process is still ongoing.

However on the plus side i know the deepsky very well indeed which i am very happy about and i feel confident i could identify a new comet immediately anywhere in the sky from here...in theory anyway :D

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds