• darragh
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22972 by darragh
Sites in Wicklow for Observing was created by darragh
Hi,

Has anybody found a good site in Wicklow for observing? Preferably within about 30 mins drive of the city centre.

I have tried observing at home but there is 3-4 high powered car park sodium lights beaming down onto my small patio area so all I can get is a nice big orange field.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22977 by lennonj
Replied by lennonj on topic Viewing site in wicklow
I was in a small town recently in wicklow called Ratdrum....I was there at a friends get together but didnt have my scope with me. It took me no more than 30 mins to get there but the place is in total darkness. I have arrange a nights oberving down there myself, there is a small camping field which is ideal, surrounded by high hills(not too high) and not a street light in sight....Hope this helps..

More
18 years 7 months ago #22995 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Sites in Wicklow for Observing
Cloon Wood, half way up the north side of Glencree, just outside Enniskerry is good, as are the car parks of Djouce Wood along Long Hill (actually, the road may be better as the trees have grown considerably of late.) Another good spot is at the back of the Big Sugarloaf Mt., accessible from the N11 at the Glen of the Downs - there is a nice field where the model aircraft anoraks hang out during the daytime :-) Or further afield, Trooperstown hill near Laragh, or the public carpark at Glendalough is great. My top spot (but definitely more than 30 mins from the city centre) is the Wicklow Gap near the Turlough Hill Power Station - the skies are totally black there!

Phil.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23022 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Sites in Wicklow for Observing

as are the car parks of Djouce Wood along Long Hill (actually, the road may be better as the trees have grown considerably of late.)

Well that and Wicklow Co. co. deciding to put a boulders in the way of the djouce wood car park so you can't drive in. At least they were still there in August. There are other car parks on the road though which may be of use.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 7 months ago #23160 by markdowling
Replied by markdowling on topic Djouce
Well the car park at djouce woods has been 'boldered' up for some time thanks to our 'Traveller' friends whom moved into the whole strip there a couple of years ago. The usual mess followed. The city 'glow' has invaded that spot somewhat anyhow, don't you think?
I live in South Wicklow (past lug nas quilla) and STILL can see the glow in the northeren sky, but I'm probably being a little fussy!

Mark

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds