• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #23228 by martinastro
Stunning Rainbow! was created by martinastro
Hi all

At 16.35 this afternoon i was greated by a stunning rainbow high in the N - NE sky sector which appeared before and during a hevy down pour. It expanded over 120* in azimuth and sported bright vivid primary and secondary bows, alexanders dark band and spectacular supernumeray arcs! This is perhaps the brightest rainbow display i have ever seen. The two base bows were so bright they looked like a nearby physical object that you walk over to and touch. Here are my images however they do not do justice to the detail observed with the naked eye...

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23229 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
very nice pictures Martin. I like the way you captured the sky being brighter inside the primary bow than outside.

for anyone not familiar with the term, Alexander's Dark Band is the strip of sky between the primary and secondary bows. The preferential scattering of light to the inside of the primary and to the outside of the secondary means that the central strip appears darker than the surrounding sky. It's named after Alexander of Aphrodisias who dreamily described the phenomenon nearly 2000 years ago :)

saw a bow before Christmas that was about 20 feet in front of me . . . it lay between myself and a billboard which was a mostly white background and nicely showed up the rainbow's colours.

John

More
18 years 7 months ago #23232 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
Rainbows........

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #23233 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
Thanks for the back ground info John :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 7 months ago #23238 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
Any pot of gold? Just wondering...

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 7 months ago #23240 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
The other day it was clouds now its Rainbows......no pot of gold just think some are loosing the plot, turning into a cloud and rain website

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds