K-Tec

Stunning Rainbow!

More
18 years 7 months ago #23241 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
Ah no, in fairness my THREE-YEAR OLD daughter loves rainbows. It takes all sorts to make a world.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #23242 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
LOL :D

Although personally rainbows do fall into the atmospheric phenomena category such as sun pillars, haloes etc so i think they should be included in an observers target list as they can be stunning in there own right. No observer of the sky should be indifferent to these light displays if he or she truely loves the sky and nature around them...my two cents worth.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 7 months ago #23256 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!

LOL :D

Although personally rainbows do fall into the atmospheric phenomena category such as sun pillars, haloes etc so i think they should be included in an observers target list as they can be stunning in there own right. No observer of the sky should be indifferent to these light displays if he or she truely loves the sky and nature around them...my two cents worth.

Hear hear! Couldn't agree more.

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23260 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!
All together now.....

Red and Yellow and Pink and Green, Purple and Orange and Blue....

:roll: :oops:

All for the want of clear skies.

Johnno

Kildare Astronomy Society
www.kildareastronomy.com

More
18 years 7 months ago #23261 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!

The other day it was clouds now its Rainbows......no pot of gold just think some are loosing the plot, turning into a cloud and rain website

we'd have to delete a chapter of the Novice Observing Challenge if anyone objected to atmospheric optics falling into the category of observing sky phenomena.

personally, atmospheric optics has always been a "grey" area . . . neither astronomy or strict meteorology. Meteorology books tend to shuffle the subject of halos, etc. into the deeper recesses of their texts. I do think though that as Martin said, it's huge area of interest for amateur astronomers. Years ago (well, centuries anyway), anything celestial out of the ordinary was a "Meteor" ("of the air"). As avid skywatchers, we should become aware of the subtle nuances of meteorological optics and take notice of rare sights that can only enrich our appreciation of the sky.

John

More
18 years 7 months ago #23262 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Stunning Rainbow!

The other day it was clouds now its Rainbows......no pot of gold just think some are loosing the plot, turning into a cloud and rain website

Have to say I dissagree big time here. If you count meteors and aurorae as astronomy then I see no reason what so ever to disscount atmospheric optics. Have a look at www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/phenom.htm , you'll be amazed at the wealth of atmospheric phenomena you can observe.

I'm not a big fan of overly tight definitions, I'm a sky watcher, I enjoy viewing all the interesting phenomena that the sky has to offer and I know I'm not alone in that on this site. I've learned a lot from Martin & Connor & co's posts on atmospheric optics and they have inspired me to keep an eye out myself which I have found very rewarding. Keep up the good work guys!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds