• markdj
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 7 months ago #23382 by markdj
Hi fellow observers

Week's Weather
The week ahead looks set to be one for the meteorologists amongst you. It's to be windy, especially on Thursday morning with scattered showers throughout the week. Come the weekend, things are looking up. Saturday looks to be fine, dry and settled with clear spells.

Observing on Saturday
With the Moon rising at around midnight on Saturday, we are planning to have an informal observing session at Killylane Reservoir, Ballyclare from around 7pm-11pm on Saturday 18th February. The reservoir is located on Shane's Hill on the road between Ballymena and Larne. The skies are excellent here so we are looking to get some great deep sky observing done and Saturn is still magnificent in any telescope. If you are planning to attend, give me a call on 028 44821630 or drop me an email or visit the EAAS forum where we will be discussing the plans as the day draws closer. eaas.proboards31.com/

Mercury/Uranus conjunction
If you get any clear sky in the west as the Sun sets, you should have an excellent view of Mercury which is around 5 degrees above the horizon at twilight. On Tuesday evening, Mercury and Uranus will be only 0.6 of a degree apart and will be a great view in binoculars or a telescope.

Venus
Venus is visible in the pre-dawn sky and is about 11 degrees above the horizon at twilight.

2006 Messier Marathon
As some of you know, we are planning to have a messier marathon, an all night observing session to observe 100 Messier objects in one night. In 2004, I managed to get 98 objects so this time I will be looking to have a photographic record of around 70. This is a night for observers with dedication as at around 2am you need stamina to keep going. With some preparation and finder charts anyone can have a go at this. If you are interested then there are 2 dates which would be most favourable. 3rd March and 24th March. Contact me via phone, email or the EAAS forum.

February EAAS newsletter
If you didn't make it to the last meeting then please avail of the free February newsletter available from the EAAS website. It includes an indispensable Moon Phases chart and star chart for this month. Feel free to distribute this among your work colleagues.

6th March Beginner's night and observing
Our next monthly EAAS meeting will be our annual beginner's night so be sure and bring your telescope. Our treasurer, Paul Evans will be giving a short talk on what you can see in the night sky and I will be giving a 15 minute webcam workshop (much shorter than the January meeting!!). Be sure and bring your observing equipment along even if the weather is poor as this will help beginners in choosing the right equipment for them.

Clear Skies all

Mark Stronge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds