Distance learning courses in astronomy

• Kerry Stargazer
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 6 months ago #24298 by Kerry Stargazer
Distance learning courses in astronomy was created by Kerry Stargazer
Just wondering if any of the members have ever done any of the distance-learning courses run by the Open University and others.
If so how did you find them? Was it expensive and what level are you at?

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #24301 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Distance learning courses in astronomy
Hi,

Just wondering if any of the members have ever done any of the distance-learning courses run by the Open University and others.
If so how did you find them? Was it expensive and what level are you at?

I'm currently working through an Astronomy MSc. program with Swinburne University of Technology in Australia.

You need to complete 12 modules to get the MSc. qualification. Unfortunately each module costs about EUR600. I'm a little over half way through.

Once you enrol in a class you are sent out a CD containing the presentations for the module. You are expected to buy the relavent textbooks yourself.

The "class" takes place on newsgroups though a website, or your own newsreader. Every two weeks a set of presentations are covered. You are required to ask and answer questions on the material in the newsgroups, thats the classroom so to speak. The lecturer is also in that forum and takes part in the discussions. Every lecturer I've had so far has had a PhD. in the field they were instructing. This 'classroom participation' is graded based on the quality of your best contributions, and also your participation. It totals 30% of the final mark. Which I think is too high.

After the course begins you are required to choose an essay topic from a choic of about 5. This 2000 word essay is worth 20% of the marks. To get high marks you need to o research and citing the astronomy journals is expected.

There are also two computer manged tests. There are online open book exams that you have about a week to complete. They are based on the material in the CD, though you will need to have read though the reading material and done some extra reading to score well. Each of these are worth 10%.

Finally there is the project. You choose the project from about 20 possible titles. Each project has its own supervisor assigned to it, someone who will have experience in that area. There is a strong emphasis on research in the project, though there are observational projecs also. The project requires keeping in contact with the supervisor and doing a lot of research. This is the most enjoyable component of the course and accounts for the remaining 30%.

You dont have to take the units as part of the MSc. you can take just individual units if you like. Personally unless I'm working towards a goal I wouldnt get very far so my aim is the MSc!

It is a very wide ranging course and gives a solid foundation in all major areas of astronomy. This suites some people more than others. Some people would prefer to work on one particular project for the duration of their MSc.

I hope thats of help, let me know if you'd like some more information or clarification.

Clear Skies,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #24319 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Distance learning courses in astronomy
Al,
Is this something that can get you a job, or is this something just for your own knowledge??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #24320 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Distance learning courses in astronomy

Al,
Is this somehting you can get you a job, or is this something just for your own knowledge??

Personally its for my own knowledge. Jobs in pure astronomy are hard to come by and realy you seem to need a PhD. to get anything.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #24336 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Distance learning courses in astronomy
I finished a Masters degree in Astronomy in 2002 with University of Western Sydney. BTW, they no longer do this program. The cost was about €400 for each semester.

The programme is similar to Al's one. It covered most aspects of astronomy. The supervisors all had PhDs and I had alot of one to one help

From astronomy and astrophysics to the science and mathematics for astronomy. Observational techniques and instrumentation in astronomy.
This evolved into advanced astronomical instrumentation.

The final year was on Astronomy written projects and then finally astronomy research project. The final research project has to be original, usually ended up as a paper to be published in a peer reviewed astronomy journal. My research project was observational research on selected methane bands of the planet Jupiter. I carried all the observational work using a 16 inch telescope here in Co. Roscommon. In fact, to my surprise there had not been anywork done in this field of research for at least 10 years. I discovered a significant albedo change in one of the belts in the northern latitudes. I got the degree with distinction in 2002.

So you can turn your hobby of astronomy in to making a useful contribution in the science and make use of your telescope if it is observational research work you are interested in.

The University offered me to do a PhD. I decided to do that with Open University(UK) instead, at the Planetary Space Science Research Institute. The cost of each semester is about €230.

Here I had to submit a proposal and do an interview. If the proposal is accepted then this is the main focus of your project. This programme was completely different, because your final thesis must be a significant contribution to knowledge, worthy of publication and giving evidence of your ability to undertake further research without supervision. It is assumed you have a good level of knowledge and experience in astronomy before undertaking a PhD part time. You meet your supervisors every 6 months to report. In between times you have to submit every month a report as to your progress. This comprises of actions to be done that month and milestones for future months to achieve. The supervisors work with you on a one to one. I am working with supervisors that are at the very top in the field I am interested in. In fact, I find the programme challenging and enlightening. You are expected to present to professional astronomers at conferences your research findings as you progress through the programme. You are also expected to submit for publication scientific papers that are peer reviewed in well known astronomy journals.

My main reason for doing these distant learning programmes is that astronomy is my main hobby and I like to explore, know and experience more of astronomy. This is not for a career.

If you need further info let me know.

Eamonn A

More
18 years 6 months ago #24343 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Distance learning courses in astronomy
I would really like to do something like that, but I just wouldn't have the time. As it is, I woild need 30 hours a day just to get done comfortabily what I do now :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds