K-Tec

Saving DCU Astrosoc

More
18 years 5 months ago #26141 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc

Bart what kind of numbers did you have at your talks when you started off? Cause we usually have 10, including committee members, even when well promoted.

In the begning I doubt we had more than 10-15 people but once your meetings become a regular thing the number will being to build. Astro2 no generally gets about 40 people are our talks which is a nive number and enough to get good speekers without feelign embarased!

Best of luck with saving the soc!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #26160 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc
Thanks for that guys. Advice much appreciated. If anyone else has any more please add your thoughts.

Seems like jumping in at the deep end with the star-b-q idea was maybe a bit ambitious. We did have one last year though - I think about 25 people came and it was good fun. People seemed to enjoy it, even if it was mid November! The problem this year is that we had one scheduled in October but the weather got really bad about an hour before we were scheduled to depart so we had to call it off, and still had to pay a good whack for a bus we never used. So the €87 is what we had left after that episode and we haven't been able to afford another try.

A kettle eh? That would fall under equipment so I guess it's my job to get that! :)

Dwane

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

• Equinox
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 5 months ago #26202 by Equinox
Replied by Equinox on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc
Ok well some good news. :) We had a committee meeting yesterday (and half of them turned up!). We're having a Moon Watch from college on Monday and some observing from college the week after. We're watching some space related film before that so it won't be a complete waste of time if the weather is bad that night.
Also Conor made a newsletter we're going to be handing out. And we're thinking of having some sort of small magazine for next year, if we can get the interest.
We can hold our AGM next year so we don't have to worry so much about nobody showing up to one if we held it now so we should be ok for getting a committee, I hope.

More
18 years 5 months ago #26209 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc
Good to hear that Amanda! By the way, you should avail of the speakers floating on these boards that could help you guys out with a free or cheap talk. And for more ideas - there is a wealth of information on these boards for you guys to exploit!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 5 months ago #26310 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc

Good to hear that Amanda! By the way, you should avail of the speakers floating on these boards that could help you guys out with a free or cheap talk. And for more ideas - there is a wealth of information on these boards for you guys to exploit!

Seanie.

Is there a list of people, from here, who are/would be willing to talk at places/events?

Should there be one?

JMP

More
18 years 5 months ago #26311 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Saving DCU Astrosoc

Is there a list of people, from here, who are/would be willing to talk at places/events?

Yep, there is a list availble to all club reps.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds