K-Tec

Whats an amateur astronomer?

More
18 years 3 months ago #28248 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Whats an amateur astronomer?
Jared,

I agree with you. All professions have a percentage of "qualified" people who just should not be in the job.

Going by some of the threads on this board I would take issue with that particular statement.

Ain't that the truth, however at the end of the day no-one has anything to lose by speaking his opinions on these boards. (On the contrary sometimes it is easier to gain - a red face :oops: , or a cringe of embarrasment :? maybe).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
18 years 3 months ago #28358 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Well now a good friend of mine who happens to be an exceptional astronomer, sent me this definition of the word amateur ..................

Amateur = Stems from the French form of the Latin root of the word meaning a "lover of ". In this sense, retaining its French inflexion (am-a - terr) , an amateur may be as competent as a paid professional, yet is motivated by a love or passion for the activity, like a connoisseur. In the 17th and 18th centuries virtuoso had similar connotations of passionate involvement.

I found her explaination of amateur inspiring when spliced with astronomy I hope you do also.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Saturn Observation Campaign
soc.jpl.nasa.gov/participate.cfm

More
18 years 3 months ago #28359 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Whats an amateur astronomer?
Deirdre,

That sound like the best definition to me. A professional Astronomer if he loves it is also an amateur.
A professional amateur then is someone who gets paid for doing what they love.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds