• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 2 months ago #30295 by Macros42
It's a small world was created by Macros42

Puts your insignificant lives into perspective doesn't it :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #30296 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: It's a small world
I'd seen the first three of these pictures before but the last few are news to me and OMG .... I had no idea our sun was so weeney!

BB

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 2 months ago #30297 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: It's a small world
They make you look "insignificant" only because you rank them by SIZE not by COMPLEXITY.
If you were to rearrange everything by COMPLEXITY, not only would the EARTH be the biggest player on the block, the human heings which inhabit the Earth would be the biggest players of all.

The human being,especially the human mind, is the most complex object yet discovered in the known Universe!
Antares doesn't know how big it is: We know more about Antares than Antares does!

Quote:
"It is not too much to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star" (Arthur Eddington 1926)

More
18 years 2 months ago #30298 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: It's a small world

If you were to rearrange everything by COMPLEXITY, not only would the EARTH be the biggest player on the block, the human heings which inhabit the Earth would be the biggest players of all.

Hmm... if you grade things by biological achievement then I'm afraid that bacteria have us beaten hands (or should that be scillia!) down :-) Bacteria are far more successful, biologically, than any other life form on the planet - they can even survive in space without a space suit!

Phil.
(host to billions of bacteria... and that's after I've showered!)

More
18 years 2 months ago #30299 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: It's a small world

Hmm... if you grade things by biological achievement then I'm afraid that bacteria have us beaten hands (or should that be scillia!) down :-) Bacteria are far more successful, biologically, than any other life form on the planet - they can even survive in space without a space suit!

And to put that into perspective, have a look at this diaram:

Based on work in 1990 using sRNA to chart a more realistic 'tree of life' diaram than the plants and animals branches we saw in school.

The two groups on the left are entirely microbial. The one on the right is mostly microbial, with our 'macro' world being represented by 'plants' 'animals' and 'fungi'.

As for the size of the Sun. I think its more like a normal star whereas the giants and supergiants are the freaks. At least the sun will last longer than the 'live fast die young' giants!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 2 months ago #30302 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: It's a small world
Thats some representation of perspective - our Sun sucks big time! :P

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds