Observatories in Southern France

• Pioneer
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 1 month ago #31227 by Pioneer
Observatories in Southern France was created by Pioneer
Hi. I'm going on holidays to the south of France at the end of August and I was just wondering does anyone know of any Observatories in that area that allow visitors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #31364 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Observatories in Southern France
I'm just back from three weeks of flying hang gliders around the Haute-Alps de Provence! I flew over the Pic de Burre radio observatory at about 9500' and was tempted to land beside it and check it out! The mountain top is like a moon-scape - all barren white limestone rocks with five shiny silver radio dishes arranged in a Y on movable tracks. There also apperars to be a dome for an optical instrument.

I dont know if this observatory is open to the public but I did see people walking around on top (probably climbers.) Pic de Burre (sp?) is between the towns of Serres and Gap, a couple of hours drive south of Grenoble. Check out the map at: www.camping-monteglin.com/cadrepagegb.htm for general location.

The main astronomical observatory that I know of in France is the Pic de Midi observatory in the Pirrinise mountains. I'm fairly sure they will receive visitors.

All the best,

Phil.

• Pioneer
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 1 month ago #31365 by Pioneer
Replied by Pioneer on topic Re: Observatories in Southern France
Thanks very much for the info.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds