K-Tec

Glasses and observing at a telescope

More
17 years 11 months ago #33760 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope
Hi Martin

I too wear glasses for short sightedness, one problem I always had was where to put the glasses when I was viewing through the ep. A simple solution to this was that I bought a glasses holder at the optician that hang around my neck, now I simply let them drop and keep my hands free and I always know where they are.

One other thing, aren't all finderscopes able to focus? The finder on my Meade certainly does.

It's not much, but I'd like to quote Tescos, "every little helps".

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #33764 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope
Hi Martin,

I'm not astigmatic but I am very short sighted (-5.25 / -5.25) and also find glasses a curse at the eyepiece. My solution was to go for one-day disposable contact lenses. They are great for night work and I actually find that I can see far better with the contacts than the glasses at night - I can count many more of the Pliades naked eye! I believe (though I'm not certain) that you can get contacts to correct for astig. Ask your local optition.

Phil.

More
17 years 11 months ago #33810 by AstroGirl
Replied by AstroGirl on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope
Glasses aren't much fun when viewing. :(
I'm forever taking them off to view and putting them on to use the finder and look at my maps.
Don't you hate it when you drop them on the ground at night, then lose you night vision because you need a bright light to find them.

• Silversurfer
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 11 months ago #33835 by Silversurfer
Replied by Silversurfer on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope

Hi Martin,

My solution was to go for one-day disposable contact lenses. They are great for night work and I actually find that I can see far better with the contacts than the glasses at night

Phil

Aahhh,
The obvious answer, always the best, why didn't I think of it :oops: . Thanks Phil I'll have to consider this. Though i did have a problem with contact lens previously, but that was over 15 years ago, they may have improved since then.

Martin

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

More
17 years 11 months ago #33846 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope
[/quote]

Aahhh,
The obvious answer, always the best, why didn't I think of it :oops: . Thanks Phil I'll have to consider this. Though i did have a problem with contact lens previously, but that was over 15 years ago, they may have improved since then.[/quote]

Contacts have come a long way in 15 years (surprise, surprise!) - I used to have the hard contacts and found them pure hell to wear, even when I had got used to them! I now use the soft disposable ones (cost about 1euro or less per day in total) and they are extremely comfortable. Putting them in feels no different that blinking away a tear and after that, you don't feel them for up to 12 hours when your eyes may start to get a little dry and tired. Give them a try - your optitian will have free samples to give away.

Phil.

• Silversurfer
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 11 months ago #33850 by Silversurfer
Replied by Silversurfer on topic Re: Glasses and observing at a telescope

free samples to give away

Ok you've convinced me. :)

I wonder if Takahashi would ever use those sweet little words. :lol:

Martin

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds