K-Tec

Royal Christmas Lecture?

More
17 years 8 months ago #37843 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Royal Christmas Lecture?
THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES

Mathematics has successfully cracked some of the biggest mysteries of all time. By analysing the clues and spotting a hidden pattern, mathematicians have unmasked some of the most challenging cases on the mathematical books. In the 2006 Christmas Lectures Marcus du Sautoy takes us on a journey through some of the greatest thrillers in mathematics. We’ll stalk secret numbers as they spiral off to infinity. Follow the trail into the fourth dimension in search of Nature’s most mysterious shapes. Uncover the tricks that can help you make the winning move. Decipher the codes that hide a secret message. Ultimately discover how mathematics can predict whodunit before anything ever happens.

But the hunt isn’t over. Mathematics is full of mysteries that have foiled even the cleverest mathematicians. Some of these baffling brainteasers have a reward of $1 million for their solution. Join Marcus du Sautoy on his hunt for the clues to crack the greatest unsolved cases in mathematics.

Marcus du Sautoy is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Oxford. He is passionate about maths and he’s demonstrated this by making his local football team all wear shirts with prime numbers on. They’ve since had great success on the football pitch!

THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES: the curious incident of the never-ending numbers will be broadcast on five on December 25 at 7.15pm

THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES: the story of the elusive shapes will be broadcast on five on December 26 at 7.15pm

THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES: the secret of the winning streak will be broadcast on five on December 27 at 7.15pm

THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES: the case of the uncrackable code will be broadcast on five on December 28 at 7.15pm

THE NUM8ER MY5TERIES: the quest to predict the future will be broadcast on five on December 29 at 7.15pm

www.rigb.org/rimain/events/christmaslectures.jsp

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds