Help - PS2 game imported from US?

• nectarine
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Treasurer
  • IFAS Treasurer
More
17 years 8 months ago #37846 by nectarine
Help - PS2 game imported from US? was created by nectarine
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with this problem as I don't have a clue.....
I ordered a PS2 game (Shadow of the Collossus) for my nephew in England from Amazon.com and it was shipped direct from the US. However, when he's tried to load it today, his console wouldn't load the game and asked him to load a formatted PS2 disk.
Does this mean a game from the US won't work on European consoles?
Any advice would be appreciated
thanks & hope you are all having a good Christmas,

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #37849 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Help - PS2 game imported from US?
Like DVDs games have regions. A European PlayStation can only play European games. This is an evil money-making racket and one of the many reasons I have no objection to people pirating games.

There are apparently ways of modifying a playstation to make it play all games but I don't know the details and from what I can gather they are rather dangerous because they usually involve opening up your playstation and soldering in a chip of some sort.

So in short, you can't play American games on Irish PlayStations. Sorry!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 8 months ago #37858 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: Help - PS2 game imported from US?
bernie you could try the following bits of software, however, I cannot comment on how effective they are, as I have no experience of using them.....

PS2 NTSC to PAL VMode XChanger
or
NTSCONV

available at: www.megagames.com/ps2/ps2_utils_files.shtml#NTSCONV
for download.

Merry xmas

steve

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

• nectarine
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Treasurer
  • IFAS Treasurer
More
17 years 8 months ago #37861 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: Help - PS2 game imported from US?
Thanks for the info, I kinda thought it would be that the US games wouldn't play on the European one. So much for the global internet market eh?
Anyway, I have emailed the company I bought it from to see if I can return it, if not I guess I'll have to try to resell it.....

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
17 years 8 months ago #37866 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Help - PS2 game imported from US?
As Bart said it is a region coding thing. Typically Sony to be quite honest - I consider this only slightly worse than their virus tool that they used on music CDs.

There are workarounds for it. This tool will allow you to play them. But it might just be easier to write this one off to experience and buy Euro ones from CDWOW or Play.com.

[disclaimer]I've not used this as I'm not a console fan personally. However I did get a Wii for Christmas and I love it!!!! :D

[NB]Unlike Bart I'm not a fan of pirating games. I'm a big PC gaming fan and I always buy them. I find them worth the money generally and a lot of them are written by small software houses. But Sony/BMG discs - whether games, music or movies .... ;)

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
17 years 8 months ago #37867 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Help - PS2 game imported from US?

Anyway, I have emailed the company I bought it from to see if I can return it, if not I guess I'll have to try to resell it.....

I don't think you'll get much satisfaction from Amazon tbh. It's a caveat emptor problem. They sold it exactly as described - it's up to you to make sure that you can use it. They may offer a credit to you but it would be as a gesture of good faith only and they're not obliged to.

You may be able to sell it in adverts.ie. I'm sure I've seen people there with US consoles.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds