K-Tec

Starry Night Software

More
17 years 8 months ago #38414 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Starry Night Software
Hi Joanna,

I've used both Starry Night Pro and The Sky.

Personally, I prefer the appearance of Starry Night Pro but The Sky is the more recognised package amongst professionals. Starry Night Por is a little more eye-candish than The Sky but the Sky may have a few more features, depending on which version you get.

If you don't need telescope control and just want a piece of software to accurately simulate the night sky, I would strongly suggest you try Stellarium first. It's free and by far the most eye-pleasing of all the astronomical programs I've ever used. This is what I have used in the past for any of my talks that require displaying an image of the night sky on an overhead projector.

Also note Cartes du Ceil is a program can also simulate the night sky and can control the telescope. This program is also free.

I would recommend that you try both Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil before parting with your cash for another program.

Hope this helps,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38470 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Starry Night Software

Also note Cartes du Ceil is a program can also simulate the night sky and can control the telescope. This program is also free.

I have to second Michael - Cartes du Ciel (Sky Charts) is excellent and will control any telescope. The star catalogues are all downloadable and configurable, as are comets and asteroids. It may not be as polished as TheSky or other commercial products but it's definitely snapping at their heels, and as Michael points out... it's free and supported. Great value!

Phil.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38471 by philiplardner

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds