K-Tec

Return to the moon

More
17 years 8 months ago #38510 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Return to the moon

The funny thing is, if the US dont do it, China will.

Chang'e-1 is to be launched in April this year. Lunar satellite. Its main objective is to do 3d mapping of the lunar surface. The launch will mark the start of the Chinese lunar program which aims to have manned missions to the surface starting in 2017.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38511 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Return to the moon

The only thing I'd be afraid of is if the moon was used for future missions to other planets is that the same scale of industrialism/polictics would be become commonplace-maybe not fighting over oil etc but over other minerals/fuels.

You can bet your bottom dollar that what happens on earth will happen up there eventually

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 8 months ago #38543 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Return to the moon

The only thing I'd be afraid of is if the moon was used for future missions to other planets is that the same scale of industrialism/polictics would be become commonplace-maybe not fighting over oil etc but over other minerals/fuels.

You can bet your bottom dollar that what happens on earth will happen up there eventually

Hmmm - imagine Charlie Bird doing a report on the 6th Infantry moving in on Plato - at 1/6th gravity...

What would happen to artillery shells?

More
17 years 8 months ago #38757 by John37309
Replied by John37309 on topic Re: Return to the moon
I would like to see us return to the moon. I dont see it as a waste of money. Its another place for humans to live, and it's close to us from a travel point of view. We can realistically live there i think.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds