• amckinstry
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #42587 by amckinstry
cracked corrector plate in SCT was created by amckinstry
Well, the dreaded happened, and while adjusting the
dovetail of my new (to me, anyway) SCT, it slipped.

I almost caught it. :(

The cover was on the front, which stopped anything directly hitting it,
but theres a big crack in the corrector plate. The mirrors look fine, and
I can focus (haven't tried anything in depth yet, so I'm not sure how bad)
but I want to fix this.

How difficult / expensive is a 203mm Meade corrector plate to replace ?
How would I go about it?

Alastair

Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist - Kenneth Boulding (Economist)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #42591 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: cracked corrector plate in SCT
OMG !, well, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened to someone on these boards, I always though it would be me smashing the secondary mirror while collimating it.

Alastair, the bad news is that the primary and secondary mirrors and the corrector plate are all optically matched, you just cant replace one component, you have to replace all of them. So, its an expensive trip back to Meade in California or maybe think of this as an opportunity to upgrade the scope by getting a new one. Can you put up a pic of the damage?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 6 months ago #42594 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: cracked corrector plate in SCT
That is bad luck Alastair, sorry to read about it! Is it a single crack from the centre to the edge? Or right across the plate? if it was a single crack, that's all it might be? I mean, it might be useless for really dep sky work, but it *might* not affect seeing of things like Solar System bodies close-up, bright galaxies, and nebulae, and the like... Only one way to find out.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 6 months ago #42599 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: cracked corrector plate in SCT
Whoa! That's really bad luck Alistair, particularly since you have it for such a short time.

I don't think looking for a replacement plate would be a good idea as they are apparently matched to the individual primary mirror in the scope as Dave rightly mentioned. The best bet would be to email Meade in Germany. I've found them decent enough on support. They may agree to fixing there.

Try both service@meade.de & service.apd@meade.de. It was the APD guys that fixed my PST.

Hope it works out for you.

Trev

More
17 years 6 months ago #42600 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: cracked corrector plate in SCT
Yikes! :oops: Thats terrible Alastair!Dave i dont think upgrading is an option as alastair only bought it maybe a month ago. :cry: Alastair i have seen sets of optics on ebay(ie primary + secondary mirror and a corrector plate) for sale! For meade 8" SCTs but they are quir=te rare to come by.You could get the crack repaired. I know there is a guy in the UK who repairs them, ill try and source him, i saw this on another discussion boards.
Matthew

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
17 years 6 months ago #42604 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: cracked corrector plate in SCT
Repairing a cracked corrector plate is not really an option. The crack will have released stresses in the glass created during the grinding and figuring of its torus shape - even if it was annealed beforehand. You will also get diffraction effects from the crack. To see just how bad it is, star-test at high magnification and examine the diffraction pattern - you'll need a night of steady seeing to do this right. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer for their advice.

Commiserations, dude, that's seriously bad medicine!

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds