Summer nights and big scopes

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 5 months ago #44819 by johnomahony
Summer nights and big scopes was created by johnomahony
It's a clear night out. I have a new scope but its big and it takes 20 minutes to set it up. It will be 9.30pm before it will be dark enough to calibrate and align the mount. It will be 10pm before I start to observe. By 10.30pm I will be knackered and thinking about packing it in for an early start at work tomorrow. Is it worth it?
Its tough making the decision to go out with a big scope on a week day in the summertime, especially when those 10x50s are so handy. It looks like a weekend hobby for a few months.
Am I alone in this dilema?

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44823 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
No.

Have that delema myself everytime it is clear outside like tonight. I guess if you reckon that it will take too long to set up etc, then perhaps this is not the night to go out because you will ot enjoy it as much as usual!

Best off to wait for the weekend for the scope and have a go with the bionos instead, listen to your favorite astronomy podcast.

Or even download astroplanner and plan your next nights observing :D

DB

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

More
17 years 5 months ago #44837 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
Time maybe to think of a permanent mount? With my 10" it never left the house during the summer but now with a shed obsevatory at least I can nip out during the summer and do some planetary work. Set up time is about 10 minutes.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 5 months ago #44839 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
That's exactly why I have several small instruments :) A good small refractor on an AltAz mount and a pair of binoculars means you can be outside, tooled up and on target in minutes flat. In good conditions I use a Scopos 66 ED or 10x50 Meade LE binos (Lidl special).

I live in Kildare, which is almost surrounded by bogland and fen, so when the wind is low we often get heavy dew even under a relatively clear sky. That's when I use the cheap Lidl special 70mm refractor, which can't compete with the Scopos but has a huge dew shield, beside which I don't mind if getting dewed up regularly eventually messes ups the optics.

It's horses for courses. Twenty minutes looking at a handful of targets when the sky is clear and you can spare the time is better than zero.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44840 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
John I guess it depends on a few things,
a. How long can you go before you call it a night?
b. How fast is it to set up your gear.

Personally, my comfort zone with regards to sleep is 4-5 hours a night.
(which is perfect for this hobby I suppose)

The ETX-125 I have takes about 15min to set up and align
which is fine and fast.
It's also totally portable.

I am considering building a handy size pier on my patio and building
a shroud that would house it full time.
(I picked up some good ideas at the Astrofest in the UK last year)

If I was in your situation I wouldn't waste time setting up something
big and complicated.
Sometimes I myself have to just say 'no' and sit outside with my 10x50's!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 5 months ago #44842 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
In my case John it really is a weekend hobby as I work in Dublin during the week and then am home in Waterford at the weekend......

What gets me is a typical weekend where it is clouded out on Friday and Saturday, and then hey presto Sunday night is clear.... especially during the summer when its about 10.00pm before its dark enough to do some productive work.... frustrating or what!!!(this doesnt facilitate the 4.00am departure from bed on the following Monday morning to get to Dublin).

What the lads say about binos or a small easy to set up refractor are bang on....

I got a cheap pair of Binos (7x50) & lidls 10-30x60 which come in handy for the quick set up situation....these can be mounted on my camera tripod in a matter of seconds...

I actually keep one set of binos in the boot of the car, just in case I need to satisfy my curiosity during the week when I am away!!!

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds