K-Tec

Summer nights and big scopes

More
17 years 5 months ago #44853 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
Actually, John (O'Mahony), would it not make better sense when on the night you see a great observing opportunity with the scope, to get out there earlier? :oops: I have the TAS 12" Revelation Dob, but I travel about 8 miles to my observing site. The past couple of weeks, I have aimed to be at the site by 9pm when possible, therefore, taking the time to set up the scope, check collimation etc, and then sit back in my easy chair waiting to get nice and dark - or just enjoy the view for a while before I pick my first object!

As a tip or you, when we have nice sunny days (like the past 3 weeks!) and you know it will be a nice night ahead, you should set up the scope when you have the chance during the day, outside, and cover it with a (motorbike) protective tarpaulin. I have done it, and have had no issues. Just remember to take off the tarp early in the twilight to allow the whole assembly cool down with the natural air temperature.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 5 months ago #44864 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
Some good points Seanie. Sometimes I don't finish work until 8.30pm so it s not always easy to set early during weekdays. The 15x70's do come in handy for nights like this (like last night)

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
17 years 5 months ago #44908 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Summer nights and big scopes
Hi John,
I had the same issue with the 12" a few years back, it would take 30 mins+ to set it up, then either the clouds would roll in or I'd have to call it a night due to tiredness and then have to disassemble the thing.
My solution was to build an observatory, its magic when all you have to do is open the shutters and turn the scope on, pure bliss!!
It was either that or sell the scope as I just wasn't using it due to the setup hassle.
A roll on-off shed would also do the job.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds