• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 4 months ago #45053 by johnomahony
Binocular certificate handbook was created by johnomahony
Hi

I have only just discovered John Flannery's binocular handbook on the IFAS forum. It is just what I was looking for in the bookshops this weekend and it was right under my nose the whole time. Its really excellent!
Thank you Mr Flannery !!!!

John

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45119 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Binocular certificate handbook
Hi John,

Many thanks for the kind words. A few people on this board have used it and really appreciate all the feedback. It's been translated into Swedish and Czech in the last year-and-a-half too!

Ideally, I'd like to extend it somewhat to maybe give the eyepiece impression in different sized binoculars (10x50, 15x70, and 25x100).

Another plan is to have a different edition that has binocular tours of the night sky written up (as in early editions of the Arcturus publication). This would allow me to expand it to discuss star birth in general if I was talking about the Orion Nebula and the OB-type stars in that region of sky. In effect, a Burnham's Celestial Handbook for binoculars!

A more recent book for binocular users is Stephen Tonkin's "Binocular Astronomy" published by Springer. It's part of Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomer series though the range of books has run the gamut of excellent to real lemons.

Tonkin's book is an excellent introduction to the principles of binocular astronomy and offers much useful advice on instruments and techniques. The second part of the book is an atlas of sights visible in 50mm and 100mm binoculars.

That's where I found myself grinding my teeth and muttering under my breath. I just didn't like that section at all. The descriptions were too short and seemed rush. There's lots of white space on each page (there's only one object mentioned per page) and this could have been expanded on. I don't know why it wasn't. I admire Stephen and he is active on the CloudyNights.com binocular forum but I was disappointed with this aspect of the book.

The charts are poor quality. I can't understand why, if a major publisher is going to commit to produces a wide range of tomes on astronomy, they couldn't have had professional graphic artists and illustrators on the project. All the Springer series suffers from poor star charts -- at least in every book I've seen and I've seen/purchased about 12 of them so far.

In May, Sky and Telescope will publish a compilation of Gary Seronik's monthly binocular column as a spiral-bound book. It's a very nice series and it will be nice to have them all together. I don't know however if introductory material on binoculars and their use will be additional chapters with the offering.

I believe Stephen James O'Meara will be bringing out a binocular observing book in 2008.

The best binocular sky atlas I've got is Eric Karkoschka's "Observers Sky Atlas". It's in it's 4th edition now I think but you can pick up the first edition real cheap on Amazon or used.addall.com -- subsequent editions either had updated planet position tables for future years or the constellation lines on the inside back cover changed from red (which disappeared under a red light!) to a different colour.

Karkoschka's book has the best chart I've seen for binocular star-hopping the Virgo Cluster as it omits fainter galaxies. About 250 deep-sky objects are listed in total throughout the sky and the charts are very clean. It's pocket sized too!

Sky and Telescope's "Pocket Sky Atlas" is setting new standards and well worth picking up. For another pocket sized book, I'd also recommend looking out for "Moon, Mars, and Venus". This was Antonin Rukl's first issue of his famed lunar charts which subsequently were published by Astronomy Magazine via Hamlyn. The Hamlyn book was fetching huge prices when it went out of print. Sky and Telescope republished Rukl's atlas a while back but "Moon, Mars, and Venus" is a must-buy book for the portable observing kit. The used.addall.com web site will throw up some good deals.

All the best,

John

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 4 months ago #45149 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Binocular certificate handbook
Great stuff John and thanks for the advice on book selection.
There is no doubt that the IFAS site is world class !!

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds