K-Tec

IE7 Beta 2 Trojan Alert!

More
17 years 4 months ago #45609 by jhoare
IE7 Beta 2 Trojan Alert! was created by jhoare
Hi,

A mail purporting to be from "admin@microsoft.com", with a clickable graphic for "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" is doing the rounds. This links to an executable called update.exe at a site called "dzwebsolutions.net" and IS NOT a genuine message from Microsoft. I do not have the facilities to test what it does but I strongly advise that you DO NOT click! Delete it immediately.

What alerted me, apart from the fact that Microsoft doesn't send out such messages, is that Internet Explorer 7 is no longer in Beta, if you want a copy you can download it from the Microsoft website.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45612 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IE7 Beta 2 Trojan Alert!
This kind of message should always ring alarm bells. A big way machines are hacked these days is by tricking people to just visit a URL. If you use IE be particularly wary of links because there have been some really serious flaws in IE of late the allow for an attacker to take TOTAL CONTROL of your machine if you stray onto their web page!

Also, make very sure to update your operating system reguarly no matter what it is.

Finally, if you use IE you should install the NoScript addon/plugin to keep yourself a bit more protected online.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds