James Webb Space Telescope in Dublin.

• pmgisme
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #46538 by pmgisme
James Webb Space Telescope in Dublin. was created by pmgisme
According to Dick Ahlstrom in today's Irish Times there will be a full scale life sized model of the James Webb Space Telescope on display in Dublin next month,to accompany Dr John C. Maher's lectures.

Considering that the mirror system is 6.5 meters in diameter, thats a big object.

Does anyone know anything about this?

(Ahlstrom appears to confuse "Legrangian" with "Geostationary". Probably just the way he wrote it.)

Peter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #46541 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Deciphering the Big Bang!
Hi Peter
I did not get to see that particular article in the Times. But that is interesting news about the model of the James Webb Space Telescope been on display, is there any indication where it will be displayed?
I have applied for two tickets to Nobel Laureate John Mather lecture, “Deciphering the Big Bang” on June 12th through the Royal Irish Academy website: www.ria.ie/committees/chemicalandphysicalsciences/new.html and takes place in the Burke Theatre, Trinity College Dublin, tickets are free by the way and limited to a maximum of two tickets per person. Should be a very interesting and worthwhile lecture, especially with the new James Webb Space Telescope coming on-line in which he will talk about, anyone else going to this lecture?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• pmgisme
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #46542 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: James Webb Space Telescope in Dublin.
Googled this link to a photo of the model.
It even includes the sun shade!

dc.metblogs.com/archives/2007/05/james_webb_spac.phtml

Dont know anything about where it will be in Dublin.

Peter

• pmgisme
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #46576 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: James Webb Space Telescope in Dublin.
Dug up this info:

NASA, ESA and the CSA are holding a technical review of the JWST in Dublin, Ireland, next month. Approximately 300 people will attend the meeting, which will be held in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham from Monday June 11th – Thursday June 14th. In addition to NASA, ESA and CSA personnel, representatives from a large number of US and European space technology companies will be present.

The JWST Chief Project Scientist John Mather will give two public lectures while in Dublin, one will be in association with the Royal Irish Academy.

We are currently transporting a full-scale model of the James Webb Space Telescope to Dublin (it will be placed in the grounds of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham and National Museum of Modern Art) for at least 6 weeks.

The School of Cosmic Physics at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies is directly involved in developing one of the four main instruments on board JWST - the MIRI - and is hosting next month's meeting.

As this is a technical event, there are limited public events associated with it, but I will post more precise details shortly.

More
17 years 3 months ago #46579 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic jwst
Excellent! 8-)

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 3 months ago #46580 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: James Webb Space Telescope in Dublin.
Cool, I'm definitely going up to have a look at that full size model.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds