K-Tec

An IFAS 'day trip' sometime? How about Fishing!

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 3 months ago #47437 by Seanie_Morris
I know we mention about these kind of things now and again, and most of it is Astrnomical, but I just remembered at the TAS Perseids Star-B-Q last August, some of you were down camping, and we got talking about organising a fishing trip, and maybe making it an IFAS fishing trip! We (IFAS members) don't have many get-togethers at all apart from the 3 annual star parties in January, March/April, and September/October. It would be nice to meet up a little more often, as most of us have become friends, or have lost touch between friends - either way, it's a good excuse to get together more often! And, is not night-time or weather dependant!

To start, some of us here that talked about going fishing for a day, maybe on the coast or on a lake, were myself, Mike O'Connell, Dave MacDonald, Dave Power, and Darren Dempsey. Who else thinks they might be interested on a Saturday or Sunday to just grab the rods and baits, pack a thermos and lunch, carpool where able to, and head soemwhere? And lets try and NOT make it look like a boys club too!

I know anyone can get together in their own local area and do something, but I just thought about broadening the net a bit more (sorry about the pun!).

Lets see what the response is like before we start organising anything, but I know a great place near Banagher on the Shannon for the pike and perch...

By the way, what do you call a fish with no eyes?

...fsh.

:lol:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #47445 by fguihen
Hi Seanie. Id be very interested in a fishing day!! since moving to dublin I have had no chance to do any fishing. a bit of sea fishing, or even pike fishing would be of interest to me. let us know the time/date and location and then i could see about making myself availiable. great suggestion!

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 3 months ago #47446 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: An IFAS 'day trip' sometime? How about Fishing!
Now would this be a fishing day or a drinking day. The reason I ask the last time I went on a fishing trip we never left the pub. But what a fun day it was. :lol: :wink:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 3 months ago #47454 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: An IFAS 'day trip' sometime? How about Fishing!
I had a cracking day out boat fishing last Saturday in Dungarvan off Helwick Head. Just under 2 hours from Limerick and probably the same from Dublin. This was followed by a visit to the pub but there were good fish caught during the day.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
17 years 3 months ago #47458 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: An IFAS 'day trip' sometime? How about Fishing!
The first "official" IFAS local excursion is a fishing trip, gas :lol: :lol:
How about some observing that night if its clear, if the fishing site has a dark sky that could be a good combination.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 3 months ago #47465 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: An IFAS 'day trip' sometime? How about Fishing!

The first "official" IFAS local excursion is a fishing trip, gas :lol: :lol:
How about some observing that night if its clear, if the fishing site has a dark sky that could be a good combination.

Gotta start somewhere, sometime!

Re: the observing idea - that would mean an overnight stay somewhere. After a long day fishing, that may not be a bad idea, or else people will just want to go home. Unless we were to organise a trip somewhere that had an An Óige hostel nearby that we could all (affordably?) stay over, then why not!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds