K-Tec

Setting up a phpBB style message board on a website)

More
17 years 1 month ago #49475 by Seanie_Morris

phpBB comes with that as standard, so Frank has nothing to worry about!

I hope its improved what what it was like about a year ago. spambots had little trouble bypassing that.

Well, as you know from even managing these boards, it's not foolproof. However, as was said, there are further add-ons to help combat that.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #49476 by ayiomamitis
Another good product is SMF - www.simplemachines.org/ - which is also very good looking and similar to phpBBS. With very little previous experience, I had a system up and running within an hour. You simply unzip the various files to a directory on your remote server and execute one single program which effectively loads the sofware and sets up various panels for the admin.

You then login as admin and go from there.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 1 month ago #49477 by voyager

phpBB comes with that as standard, so Frank has nothing to worry about!

I hope its improved what what it was like about a year ago. spambots had little trouble bypassing that.

It hasn't. The default captcha is totally hacked and hence pointless. You need to install a better captcha as an add-on.

Also, it's VITAL to always keep your board software up to date. The problem is that each time you apply an update you have to re-apply all your add-ons. Hence, add in as few as you can get away with.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• Frank Ryan
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 month ago #49481 by Frank Ryan
Thanks everyone.
I have the new site and message board up and running.
So far so good!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 1 month ago #49484 by Seanie_Morris

Also, it's VITAL to always keep your board software up to date. The problem is that each time you apply an update you have to re-apply all your add-ons. Hence, add in as few as you can get away with.

I disagree. There is an add-on called EasyMOD that can apply the updates and extras for you, without the need to reapply the extras themselves after a boards update. It has worked for me no problem.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 1 month ago #49501 by voyager

I disagree. There is an add-on called EasyMOD that can apply the updates and extras for you, without the need to reapply the extras themselves after a boards update. It has worked for me no problem.

Ok, then I'll make two more points for why you should minimise your mods:

1) EasyMod is not perfect. Not near. It can and does mess up. The more mods you add, the more likely it is that easyMod will not find it's hooks (because you've modded them out of existence). The older your mods, again, the more likely it is that easyMod will fail because it can't find a hook because an update changed something.

2) Many mods are really badly written. At best many add in serious performance problems. I've seen some mods that are so inefficient with their database calls that they increase the load on the server 10 fold and slow it down too. In fact I've seen mods kill servers by being so inefficient. As if that's not bad enough bad PHP code is also a security nightmare. The core of PHPBB is pretty solid by now and when problems are found they are patched quickly. The same is not true of mods.

Bottom line, mods are dangerous and can get very messy. Choose carefully and choose the minimum you need. It's very tempting to just go mad and apply mod after mod after mod. My advice is don't. Sooner or later you'll regret it.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds