• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50419 by lunartic_old
Greek fires was created by lunartic_old
Hey all

It's distressing to see the images of the fires raging across Greece and I am sure that many feel as I do that our thoughts go out to those families affected. The courage shown by those fighting the blaze is an example to all and we can pray that they are soon brought under control.

I can only hope and pray that our good friend Anthony is far from harm.

I suppose this is one of the unfortunate side effects of Greek weather, even with their countless clear nights.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50421 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Greek fires
Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. The firefighters are putting up an incredible and heroic battle against the fires. To add insult to injury, what you are seeing is arson and not something natural.

As for myself, the only effect is the ash in the sky which makes me very hesitant to setup. The only good thing is that it is a full moon right now (or just about) which means work would not have been possible anyway.

Anyway, I hope these fires come to an end and the number of victims stops where it is at right now.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50425 by BrianOCarroll
Replied by BrianOCarroll on topic Re: Greek fires
I too was concerned about "our man in Athens".. Glad to hear you're alright Anthony :)

It seems like the opposition political party are using this as a tool with which to attack the government pre-election. I guess it's the same everywhere - Lousy, despicable politicians will use anything to get an advantage! Is this how you see it? From what I've heard, the government and emergency service's response couldn't have been better..

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50426 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: Greek fires
Its a disgrace that someone could have it in them to start such fires deliberately, causing such a loss of life....... I too was concerned about anthony, and am glad to see he is OK...

I hope the situation will be under control soon, and there are no more casualties!!

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50428 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Greek fires
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns.

The government fell flat on its face with the current crisis and it could not have occurred at a worse time for them. Total ineptness and incompetence.

Just the fact that damaged occurred at Ancient Olympia I think is something that summarizes everything. I seriously doubt if there is anything more sacred in Greece than Ancient Olympia and the historical birthplace and home of the Olympics.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50432 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Greek fires

I too was concerned about "our man in Athens".. Glad to hear you're alright Anthony :)

The winds are abating now, so that might help the trojan work being done to start paying off. :(

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds