K-Tec

Greek fires

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50433 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Greek fires

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns.

The government fell flat on its face with the current crisis and it could not have occurred at a worse time for them. Total ineptness and incompetence.

Just the fact that damaged occurred at Ancient Olympia I think is something that summarizes everything. I seriously doubt if there is anything more sacred in Greece than Ancient Olympia and the historical birthplace and home of the Olympics.

I'm glad you're all right. Was worried about you each time I heard mention of the fires on the news.

From what you say it doesn't sound like the opposition are being petty or political by making the fires an issue. People died and if that was in any way made worse by the government's incompetance then it's the opposition's duty to speak out against the government.

How bad is the damage to ancient Olympia?

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50434 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Greek fires

From what you say it doesn't sound like the opposition are being petty or political by making the fires an issue.

The press are REALLY ripping into the government and its lack of action. The politicians were caught with their pants down and totally unprepared.

People died and if that was in any way made worse by the government's incompetance then it's the opposition's duty to speak out against the government.

Sixty-three people losing their life is the saddest part of all. The charred remains of one mother were found and she had in her arms her three little children trying to protect them. This summarizes the tragedy that occurred best.

How bad is the damage to ancient Olympia?

Half the grounds of the stadium itself were burnt .... the entrance to the archaeological grounds were also burnt .... as was a well known hill behind the stadium grounds (Kronios Hill) .... as well as part of the International Olympic Committee grounds.

The best part is the Minister of Culture arriving to the grounds after the fire and trying to downplay the damage with "just a few trees were burnt" ... and when footage of the actual damage started making rounds around the world, he quickly changed his tune and stated that he had an opportunity to walk around and inspect the damage and that his original assessment was not accurate.

Politicians are a breed of their own ... I am sure are local "crop" is representative of other national "crops".

One of the two major fronts was northeast of Athens on the island of Euvoia and which is directly across the channel from me. I had a direct sight to the burning fires and my skies did fill with smoke and ash. The area smelled for at least two days and there is still ash flying around. My equipment will certainly be staying indoors for at least a few more days.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50439 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: Greek fires
I think it pretty fair to say that all our thoughts go to those who have lost loved ones or possessions.

For most of us, in order to have an appreciation of the scale of destruction caused by these fires have a look at this picture Click Here

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50440 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Greek fires
:shock:

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50452 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Greek fires
Hi Anto,

All Joking aside great to here your all right it's a dam shame what has happened because some pack of little I won't say it. Hope they throw the book at them when they catch them.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50494 by mia
Replied by mia on topic Re: Greek fires
I'm just back from Rhodes and it was heartbreaking to see the reports and talk to people who knew people in the area.

Awful thing to be happening to such a beautiful country.

Glad you're okay Anthony.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds