K-Tec

Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan

More
16 years 11 months ago #52013 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan
Meant to say to you at the Whirlpool Dee (but got caught up in the whole atmosphere of the event) a wonderfull piece of work and the use of fishing rods was pure genius.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52016 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan
Ah, so that's what they are then! I was wondering what the heck they were alright...

More
16 years 11 months ago #52072 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan
Nice photo of the original here:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Sputnik_asm.jpg

Compare and contrast!

Incidentally, French and Russian teenagers built a working replica in 1997 for the 40th anniversary. It was thrown overboard Mir on 3rd November of that year and beeped away happily in orbit for two months.

Peter.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52073 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan
Hi all,

A marvellous replica of the satellite Dee.

The picture on the SDAS site linked to above is not the finally finished product. The "rivets" were subsequently added by Dee along with a few other minor features to create a more authentic look to the model.

Michael Murphy and John Murphy ported a sound clip of Sputnik 1's bleeps to their phone and iPod-mini respectively. The play-back of the clips only added to Dee's replica of the satellite. Fantastic work everyone!

atb,

John

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 11 months ago #52085 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post

Sputnik in church, Gonzaga college, October 4th 2007.50th Anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1

A telescope can see really far by Luke McEvoy age 10 from St Peters National School in Walkinstown.

Nebula by Ashely Haberland P4 St Andrews National School in Blackrock

Just a sample of the huge outpouring of art from children in some of the schools who got involved.

Sputnik added to the atmosphere at Dr John Mason's energetic presentation about the future of space exploration. It was an honor to attend Dr Mason' presentation and I was delighted to see so many young people in Gonzaga on the night. Many thanks to Michael Murphy for the beep beeps.Thanks to everyone on this forum for your kind words.

My thanks to Joe O' Briain for the venue, and for getting down on his hands and knees to help with the childrens artworks. Gonzaga is a great school, I enjoy the very positive energy fostered in the pupils there.

A truck full of thanks to John Flannery for his help and encouragment to get the Space in Art celebration noticed. I have no idea how the Sputnik thing got on TV but it was good fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

My thanks to John Flannery and Walter Mee for acting as coordinators for the event.
The pupils and teachers from the various schools who celebrated 50 years of space in art are delighted to have taken part and I hope to continue this link for future events.

If anyone took images in Gonzaga on the night, I would love to have them. I only got to take a few as I was a little bit busy.
You can send them to me at skysketcher@gmail.com

Here is the link to the RTE news report by Flor Mc Carthy
www.rte.ie/news/2007/1004/6news.html
You have to scroll down to the link for 50th Anniversary of Sputnik 1 and then it takes a few minutes to load. Sorry there is an advert just before the news report, and it takes a few minutes after that to play.

Deirdre Kelleghan
President
Irish Astronomical Society 1937 - 2007
Public Relations Officer IFAS
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
homepage.eircom.net/~irishas/index.htm
www.irishastronomy.org/

More
16 years 11 months ago #52086 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Congrats To Deirdre Kelleghan
Fair play Deirdre for doing all that great work.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds