K-Tec

Stars in the milky way?

More
16 years 9 months ago #55221 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?
I've heard a good comparison for the number of stars in our Milky Way

If you filled an Olympic swimming pool with sand, there would be the same number of stars in the galaxy as there is grains of sand in the pool.

That's alot of stars !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55234 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?

If you filled an Olympic swimming pool with sand, there would be the same number of stars in the galaxy as there is grains of sand in the pool.

That's alot of stars !!

Yeah but it'd be a pig to clean it back out. And the filters would probably be wrecked. :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 9 months ago #55270 by ISAW
Replied by ISAW on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?
not directly related but in a seperate incarnation as a teacher/lecturer im constantly reinventing distance scale factors. Im always thrown by galactic sizes but not by Cosmological ones. what do I mean?
Well given a Sun the size of your fist (10cm = sol) I reckon a solar system would form about the size of a building or small campus with an inner solar system the size of a large hall. (1 AU= 100 sols = 10m) On that scale the nearest star is about half way round the Earth.( 250,000 AU =25,000 km~ 1Pc)

And so I hit a wall because on that scale, the Moon is 20 Pc the Sun about 1000 Pc. The Galactic Core (15,000 Pc) is way out near Neptune. Actually this isnt bad since we could put the Galactic core at the Sun and the visible Galaxy might fit innside the Kuiper Belt.

Anyway the Universe is much easier as i see it. If you take the Galaxy to be your fist. (1 million Ly = 1 metre) Given about 14 giga Years for the age of the universe that is about 150 billion Ly in size. Which is about the distance to the Sun! So the universe isnt really that big at all :)

No doubt my comfort is because I used the same solar System scaling factor. Don't we have this anthrocentric habit of comparing everything to us?

More
16 years 9 months ago #55322 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?

4 billion would be far too light.

Yes, slip of the brain there. (I was wondering who would be the first to spot the deliberate mistake :wink: ) I obviously meant from 100 to 400 billion, not 1 to 4.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55323 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?

That's alot of stars !!

Yeah but it'd be a pig to clean it back out. And the filters would probably be wrecked. :D

Pass me the shovel, I'm digging my way outa here ! :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 9 months ago #55340 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Stars in the milky way?
I see in this month's S@N that they reckon star formation is at ~4 solar masses of gas condensing into stars each year.
As the average star is less massive than the Sun, that ~= 7 stars per year.

The Milky Way has so far converted ~90% of it's gas content into stars.

Est.'d stellar death is at ~2 high mass stars going supernova each CENTURY :shock: , with one planetary nebula from a low mass star each year.

So => star birth rate > star deaths.

I would have thought the rates might all have been a bit higher.... :?

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds