K-Tec

Greenland ice sheet melt shows intriguing structure

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #55764 by eansbro
I have just been using Google Earth and see that Greenland ice sheet melt shows intriguing geological structure.

If you go to Google map and select satellite view, you can see the structure
in the middle of Greenland. Its about 50 miles long with a straight edge to the north that appears to be emerging into view as the ice melts. It could be a video fault in overlaying of the maps. But it is certainly intriguing.

There is a black elongation to the south which is an artifact.

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55765 by philiplardner
Looks like a botch-job on stitching the imagery together - most of the ice-sheet is completely featurless so I guess they aren't too bothered about that region. I measure this wierd runway at about 24.18 miles! There's another anomaly (looks like martian landscape poking through) just to the NNE.

Definitely odd!

Phil.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55766 by Mike
Your guess is as good as mine Eamonn. First thought that it is probably a processing anomaly, but I am not quite certain based on current information. Nothing shows up on either “Map” or “Terrain” views but like you said, only on “Satellite” view.
The satellite view shows rivers / lakes as almost black (I have checked satellite views of Ireland and this is the case); if that’s a lake then it’s a weird one. BTW, “Kingsland Observatory” shows up in high definition on satellite view, amazing technology this “Google maps”.
Why is this country called “Greenland”?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 9 months ago #55808 by philiplardner

Why is this country called “Greenland”?

Clear skies
Mike

It was a con job by a Viking by the name of Eric the Red when he found himself outlawed from Iceland after a slight misunderstanding with his neighbours (who ended up a bit dead.) Anyway, after discovering this glacier covered hell he sailed back to Iceland and made quite a good sales pitch and sold passages back to his new paradise on board his Knarr ship. In keeping with the old saying "there's one born every day" Eric got rich and his passengers got dumped on a god forsaken shore that was very definitely not green!

And the moral of the story is... never trust a travelling salesman!

Phil.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55810 by jhoare
According to the archeology southern Greenland was green and was farmed during the last round of natural global warming - which as it happens coincided with the time of Eric the Red. Archeological studies of the European coastline also show that in those days sea levels were higher than they are today.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55814 by dave_lillis
To think that there is somewhere with more desolate weather then here.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds