K-Tec

Carl Sagan - Cosmos

More
16 years 9 months ago #56003 by MOD
Carl Sagan - Cosmos was created by MOD
Does any body remember a TV program in the early '80s (ish) called Cosmos which was presented by Carl Sagan. It was an amazing program and is probably one of the most contributing factors to whatever interest I have in astronomy.
If you do remember it, you might be interested to know you can get the series on DVD from amazon,
www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Carl-Sagan-DVD-Set/dp/B000055ZOB

I found that and also some clips from the series on you tube - here is a sample "Pale Blue Dot" and remember this was made almost 30 years ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #56005 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Carl Sagan - Cosmos
Hi MOD

I highly recommend the “COSMOS” DVD box set; I purchased it shortly after it was released and there are additional updates to the original series. Although some of the special effects currently looks dated this is a minor aspect when compared to the on screen presence of Carl Sagan coupled with his communications of science, history, ideas and thoughts that will keep you engaged through each episode.

A fascinating series well worth purchasing, a flagship series that brought a marriage of science / astronomy to a general TV audience in an engaging and innovative manner. It also brings back some good memories for me as this was the same time as the TV series aired that my dad give me a gift of a refractor telescope on my birthday, I guessed I wanted to be like Carl Sagan some day! No doubt he has fired the imagination of many people both young and old to become more involved in science or at least to be curious and to question. For me it was the COSMOS TV series that done the trick and made me find out more about the amazing universe (or perhaps multiverse) we live in!

"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself."
Carl Sagan

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 9 months ago #56022 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Carl Sagan - Cosmos
Interesting to see that Amazon has the set available for $115. A local newspaper on more than one occasion had the series available as a promotion with the weekend paper (one CD/DVD each weekend).

If anyone is interested, I can keep an eye out for the next such promotion involving the COSMOS series. I do have it (thanks to the promotion) and it is a neat set.

Sagan will sorely be missed.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 9 months ago #56026 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic COSMOS
That’s a really good promotion Anthony. I normally buy my DVDs from a company based in Jersey UK; www.play.com (they provide free shipping to Ireland and the item/s usually arrives within 5 days).
For MOD, The price of the COSMOS box set is 75.92 Euro on www.play.com
(~111 USD in today’s exchange rate), shipping is free as I said.

If you purchase from Amazon (US) you will have to wait more than five days for item to arrive and add on shipping costs to the 115 Dollars list price, although some Amazon US market place sellers are offering the same box-set starting at 75.58 USD plus whatever shipping costs to Ireland.
www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000055Z...d=&condition=new

On Amazon UK you can obtain the same box set for £40.27 (~56 Euro / ~82 USD), from Amazon UK market place sellers, plus whatever the shipping cost from UK to Ireland will be.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00005...197031926&sr=1-1

I think the box set is region 1, (Ireland would be included in region 2), but if you have a multi-region DVD player then this won’t be a problem.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 9 months ago #56033 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Carl Sagan - Cosmos
Hi Mike,

I must confess that we are VERY fortunate when it comes to promotions (and competition) between local newspapers. I must have 400 CD/DVD's from Discovery Channel, History Channel etc which are exclusively related to astronomy, space, satellites, physics etc .... by no stretch of the imagination have I seen all of them (I am way too busy) but I am certainly saving them for a "rainy day".

In retrospect, I am surprised at the rich collection I have managed to accumulate one disk at a time.

By the way, I just checked eBay for Sagan's COSMOS and there are lots of offers with attractive pricing (ex. $20). :wink:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 9 months ago #56055 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: Carl Sagan - Cosmos
Yep I remember watching it when it was initially broadcasted on RTE2 on Sunday nights also having to fight with my other siblings as to what to watch. I bought the DVD several years ago on ebay watch all episodes in one night.

Happy days.
:D :D :D

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds