• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #56427 by ftodonoghue
Cokin graduated filters for dslr was created by ftodonoghue
Hi Folks

I know this question doesn't belong here but I want to get a basic filter kit with graduated filters for a canon dslr. for landscape photography.

Anyone know where is the best place to buy online and what sort of kit I will need.

Thanks

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #56429 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Cokin graduated filters for dslr

Hi Folks

I know this question doesn't belong here but I want to get a basic filter kit with graduated filters for a canon dslr. for landscape photography.

Anyone know where is the best place to buy online and what sort of kit I will need.

Thanks

Hi Trevor,

Cokin are quite expensive because of the optical quality and the glass material they are made from. The Kood brand are a cheaper option and come in a similar range of filter types. I'd be slightly wary of some of the cheaper filters on eBay because sometimes they are no more than coloured plastic. Lee is another brand of filter.

eBay is probably the best place to pick up the filters and you can get different sets (e.g. Neutral Density [ND], UV, and FL [flourescent]) quite cheap. Some people sell the graduated sunset, graduated blue, and ND filters in sets too. I've 18 different filters covering a broad range of applications. Most of them are Kood but some are screw-in ND.

As you probably know, the Cokin or Kood filters are roughly square shape and slot into a filter holder that screws on in front of the lens. The filter holder attaches to a threaded ring that matches the thread of the lens. Therefore, if you get a filter holder try and get one which has a few threaded (stepping) rings to cover the fact that you may have more than just the standard 58mm on your lens (e.g. a telephoto could have a 82mm while a wide-angle lens could also be threaded differently).

The Cokin pdfs are quite good in that they describe the applications of each type of filter. There is a massive amount of information at www.cokin.co.uk/pages/pdf.htm

One other thing to watch for is whether the filter is an A-series or P-series filter. The web site mentioned above explains what each series type is more suited to.

atb,

John

More
16 years 9 months ago #56431 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Cokin graduated filters for dslr
Hi Trevor,
The best place to ask for the sort of advice would be photographyireland.net
There is a pretty large community of photographers there and you might get some people who are getting rid of their filter gear.

If you are looking to use Cokin filters, you need to chose which series you want, P series filters will fit most lenses up 80mm diameter. (Most people use P series and I use P series)
A series only fits a small amount of lenses and the X and Z series filter are very pricey as they are mainly aimed for broadcast media.

To use Cokin filters, you need a lens adapter that screws into the front of the lens and a filter hold which slides onto the lens adapter.
Some filter holders will take only filter but most take 3-4 filters and can accept 2 circular filters.

If you are Dublin, Conns Cameras have a very good selection of Cokin filters.

If you can't make it to Dublin, then eBay is the cheapest and best source to find Cokin filters.

Regards
Darragh

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #56437 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Cokin graduated filters for dslr
Thanks Lads

I will have a look at the cokin site and ebay

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 9 months ago #56438 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Cokin graduated filters for dslr
Trevor,

I also get my filters from eBay ... aside from great variety of the same item, the prices are excellent. I remember, for example, about 18 months ago when I was looking for the Cokin fog filters (#1 and #2) and which were available locally for around 50 euros each and in contrast to eBay where I got them for 3-4 euros each.

John and Darragh have covered all the bases and there is nothing else one could really add in addition to what they have described and advised.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #56439 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Cokin graduated filters for dslr
Had a look at the Cokin site and i think i will go for a complete kit. Comes with holder.

ND GRAD KIT includes Grad Grey G2 Soft (NDX8), Grad Grey G2 Medium (NDX4) and Grad Grey G2 Light (NDX2) Code: H250A

should get me started

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds