K-Tec

1st post so Hi to everyone!!! I joined to find out what you

More
16 years 8 months ago #59841 by ice
might know about 2007 AU24

many boards are buzzing about how close its flying by on 29th of Jan.

many rumors about how close it will come!

any real info would be helpful

thanks

ice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #59847 by ice
:D

come on guys and gals

I am depending on you to give me some good info:

just so you know what I got to work with here it is

Re: Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned. Numerous solutions indicate an Earth impact.. Here is the latest regarding this unfolding catastophic situation Quote

I spoke briefly to my friend who is performing computer system support at NASA. The conversation was very short and to the point. Let me state that my friends’ background is in mathematics and software engineering. So all that can be passed on is empirical evidence based on the inputs used and the results. Not much has changed regarding the trajectory of this asteroid and models are still 50/50 regarding an Earth impact. The cone of projected path currently runs anywhere from some point on Earth to a little more that .5 LD.

Here is what we do know with some good degree of certainty. This is derived from the fact that majority of initialized computer runs is utilizing the same input regarding composition. Asteroid TU24 is ‘believed’ to be nickel-iron in composition. The composition coupled with a multi-axis rotation and irregular shape is making it difficult for NASA to pin this one down precisely. The radar instrumentation used to track this NEO is sending back data which by all accounts indicate a highly magnetized target. Highly magnetized objects send back a radar echo that is different than non magnetized objects.

Now let me clarify why we have a discrepancy on the JPL site regarding projected path. There are widely different program simulations running. Some of the input data included in computer tracking of this NEO is from data extracted from experimental simulations that were conducted in at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory. The problem as I understand it is that the guidance derived from the experimental simulation inputs is creating a vast spread in path guidance. In other words the NASA folks are used to an error variation that is less than what the current outputs are providing. The conventional program simulations, which do not utilize the magnetic inputs the magnetic experimental model uses, are providing a result with less degree of error in path guidance. The folks at NASA want to err on the side of caution and familiarity so they are using the conventional models output as their official projected path. A path with a narrow window of error that has a safe miss distance but none the less shrinking towards Earth is what NASA has decided to post as the official path. As most of you are aware the JPL site has been updated and it modestly revised the numbers inward towards Earth.

This is all I know at this point. We know it is not a global killer but certainly has the potential for vast regional destruction. All we can do is love the ones we cherish and give them extra hugs and take the extra moment to let them know how special they are to you. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

May the Great Spirit protect us!

More
16 years 8 months ago #59849 by davema

More
16 years 8 months ago #59851 by ice
thanks Dave

On January 29th, 2008 at 08:38 asteroid 2007 TU24 is just 551,000kms from Earth (1.37 lunar distances). This asteroid is approximately 400m across. It is classified asd a potentially hazardous asteroid (PHA) by the minor planet center.

What do they mean hazardous asteroid???

ice

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 8 months ago #59857 by DaveGrennan
Ice,

Hazardous means that at some point in the future, the possibility of an Earth impact has not been ruled out. Passes such as this one provide an ideal opportunity to prove more data points which help refine it's known orbit and thus better determine the probabilities of a n impact at some date in the future (or no impact as the case may be).

Either way we have nothing to fear from 2007 TU24 this time round.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 8 months ago #59878 by pj30something
this time round

I dont wanna be here the next time round.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds