K-Tec

Lidl "Refractor Telescope" forum

More
19 years 9 months ago #6183 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Lidl "Refractor Telescope" forum
Marco et al,

The EQ2 mount does indeed have a drive available for purchase as an upgrade. It is only for RA but it is quite cheap as well. I picked mine from Astromart for next to nothing. DO keep an eye on the Astromart ads, for I have seen them available a number of times ... and they are quite cheap!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #6188 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lidl "Refractor Telescope" forum
I accidentaly put this post in the ETX forum, so I am moving it here!

Just for thhose new to the Skylux, here are a few pointers I have made out in relation to my experience of it over the last year.

1) when you want to 'swivel' the axes to look for another object, unlock each axis wing screw, move it to your rough destination position, then relock the axes and use the slow motion controls to find what you are looking for. If you try to turn the axes while they are locked, you will find that if feels like you are grating the axes, which is not good.

2) be careful about how far you bend the slow motion hand controls. I have just broken the longer one, and I am still looking for a good resin that will hold it tightly. I over-bent it, and it snapped at the base where it widens and fits onto the axis arm where you tighten it down with the small thumbscrew. (second photo)

3) don't bother about taking apart the housing for 'cleaning'. I haven't, and it is still smooth, even though it feels there is loads of grease inside!

4) remove the accesory tray, and tie twine or melt rope to take its place - this makes it far easier to carry and store. I made a box for all my eyepieces anyway. See these pictures (sorry if its slow to load, but they are relevant to my post!):

Hope these give you some insights for those who have just bought the scope.

Seanie

PS - I can make those eyepiece boxes to order!

:wink:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 9 months ago #6205 by leppy
I missed out on computer telescope but is the skylux any good without upgrading?

More
19 years 9 months ago #6220 by pegasus
Would this kit be a good investment for the skylux www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=131

More
19 years 9 months ago #6221 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Lidl "Refractor Telescope" forum
it might be worth putting up the two-page article that Peter Paice had in the IAA "Stardust" magazine earlier this year on modifications he made to the tripod and axes of the Skylux.

I don't have the particular issue any more as I sent it to a guy in the UK but if anyone from the IAA could get permission off their Council and scanned a copy to put up as a pdf then it will be of help to a lot of the questions popping up here.

all the best,

John

More
19 years 9 months ago #6222 by ctr

Would this kit be a good investment for the skylux www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=131

I have it and I think its ok for the price. I got it here

www.adorama.com/CNAK.html?searchinfo=94303&item_no=1

With the way the dollar is it might be worth taking a chance on customs 8)

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds