K-Tec

Near-dead Canon batteries - do you short them out?

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 7 months ago #62609 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Near-dead Canon batteries - do you short them out?

A quick and easy way to drain the battery is to leave the camera on ... no photos but just on as if you were preparing an imaging session.

I assume taking off the auto-off feature would help that!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #62616 by ayiomamitis

A quick and easy way to drain the battery is to leave the camera on ... no photos but just on as if you were preparing an imaging session.

I assume taking off the auto-off feature would help that!

Yes and, generally, it should always be OFF.

Many times you will see something unexpected (ex. a plane heading towards the moon) and your camera has turned itself off due to a lack of activity ... by the time you realize it is off, power up and the camera is ready to be used, the plane has already passed. :oops:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 7 months ago #62703 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Near-dead Canon batteries - do you short them out?
Thanks for the suggestions Anto!

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
16 years 7 months ago #62716 by jhoare
I had the same battery in my Nikon D50 for two weeks solid on holiday and took 632 shots. Never even used the spare. The more powerful batteries used in DSLRs can last a long, long time if you have the various power saving options set.

However batteries do tend to drain in the cold. If you're out observing for the night, any time that you're not using the camera for a stretch pop the battery, put on the terminal cover and put it in a pocket where it will be warmed by your body heat. Likewise keep any spares you're carrying in a separate pocket (so that you know which is which) close to your body.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 7 months ago #62737 by Seanie_Morris

However batteries do tend to drain in the cold. If you're out observing for the night, any time that you're not using the camera for a stretch pop the battery, put on the terminal cover and put it in a pocket where it will be warmed by your body heat. Likewise keep any spares you're carrying in a separate pocket (so that you know which is which) close to your body.

That one I copped on to recently!

Midlands Astronomy Club.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds