• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 7 months ago #62317 by lunartic_old
Will amateur astronomy die? was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

As we look at the satellite images of the nightside of planet Earth, and the blazing of the industrialised cities and country blanking everything out. I can't help but wonder what the the next 50 to 100 years holds. Cities will get larger, how long will it be before Dublin joins up with Cork? and countryside dwindles, where will the next generation and those after go to see a real night sky.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #62319 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
Ye its too true aint it same in waterford is constantly building after building i do agree we have to improve infastructure/housing and boost local economies but as you said its becoming harder and harder to find a dark location.....i am lucky at the moment i have a good coast location skies are very dark but as for the next 50years who knows we will have to travel alot more to find our holy grail of dark skies!!

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 7 months ago #62321 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
So long as gthe burren is a protected area, its dark skies are preserved keeping its skies very dark,
City light pollution is going to get worser and spread ...

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #62322 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?

City light pollution is going to get worser and spread ...

I am optimistic about this. I believe that within 15 years power will be rationed to the extent that masses of sodium lighting burning all night will simply not be viable.

More
16 years 7 months ago #62325 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic RE:
I actually agree with Paul. as true as they say - money is the root of all evil, it is already becoming costly for many towns, cities, and industrial parks to just light up the night sky for the sake of keeping things safe and sound. There are already some lights out restrictions in some areas of the uk and the states between 12am and 5am....good for us!!!

Also more efficient lighting such as the led's the philips are designing I hear, that will only come on when motion is sensed, being put to use on roads, motorways etc.

Keith.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 7 months ago #62326 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
One hope is that if the cost of oil and gas continues to rise the country will be forced to look for more energy efficient means of lighting with designs introduced to direct the light where it belongs.

I am optimistic about this. I believe that within 15 years power will be rationed to the extent that masses of sodium lighting burning all night will simply not be viable.

Could this mean a return to a time when the lights were swicthed off at midnight? Long before my time I hasten to add. :D

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds