K-Tec

Will amateur astronomy die?

More
16 years 7 months ago #62327 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?

One hope is that if the cost of oil and gas continues to rise the country will be forced to look for more energy efficient means of lighting with designs introduced to direct the light where it belongs.

I am optimistic about this. I believe that within 15 years power will be rationed to the extent that masses of sodium lighting burning all night will simply not be viable.

Could this mean a return to a time when the lights were swicthed off at midnight? Long before my time I hasten to add. :D

You can always write to your councils now and ask them to consider switching some streetlights off from midnight to say 5am as is being trialled in Essex.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 7 months ago #62329 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
They should be sent amckinstry's article about the northern Swedish town that that turned off its lights in the light pollution section.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 7 months ago #62331 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
I am optimistic about this. I believe that within 15 years power will be rationed to the extent that masses of sodium lighting burning all night will simply not be viable.[/quote]

i think paul has a good point as we get more energy awear i think in some years the pollution might not be as bad...i think its our best option cause i couldnt see local government doing anything to help ameteur astronomers!!

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 7 months ago #62336 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
As a curiosity.
How do the various culprits percentage out in terms of contribution to LP?

EG
What is the % of LP caused by
Street lighting.
Private Homes
Commercial Premises.

Etc..

I have noticed at times from our clubs observing site
that the LP does indeed become less noticeable the later into the night it gets.

The only think I can think of is people turning out their lights to go to sleep.
If the street lighting issue was solved how would the home lighting effect the skies?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 7 months ago #62338 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?

As a curiosity.
How do the various culprits percentage out in terms of contribution to LP?

EG
What is the % of LP caused by
Street lighting.
Private Homes
Commercial Premises.

Depends.

In cities its mainly streetlights followed by commercial. (so write to your councils and ask when they are converting all streetlights to FCO)

In rural areas where there is no streetlighting it may be mainly private houses floodlighting their shed/porch/tree/cow. So write to your council asking that such lighting be banned and require planning permission for any developments that claim to need it. The campaign for rural england might be a good resource for anyone wanting to write to councils on this line. Also Colm told me recently that a house near him was granted planning permission but a condition was that it could not be floodlit - looks like the planning guidelines in Clare do make a difference.

There are plenty of examples of places that have turned lights off for a period of time. Earth Hour on March 29th being the next example. www.ilpac.eu/earthhour (though since I wont be around please contact Tony Lowes of Friends of the Irish Environment www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/ for the latest info or if you convince your local councils/businesses/family to take part.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 7 months ago #62341 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Will amateur astronomy die?
Thanks for that Albert.
I'll be putting pen to paper I think...

also

was granted planning permission but a condition was that it could not be floodlit - looks like the planning guidelines in Clare do make a difference.

I can tell you..
For every one that abide by the rules 10 break them.
Last week when Dave L and I were down there
there was one house on the cliff up the road and by GOD!
you didnt need a lighthouse there for sure.

It was shocking to see how much light was p'd away for not other
reason only for some thick moron to have ''ooohh look at MY house'' floodlights.
Idiotic.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds