K-Tec

Why are you fascinated by the night sky?

More
16 years 6 months ago #64041 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Why are you fascinated by the night sky?
So why do I look at the sky?
Its not just a case of looking at it, its a case of knowing what you are looking at, when I see a galaxy in the eyepiece of a scope its not just a pretty pic I'm looking at, I see an island universe with star and planets and maybe the chance of life there...

Our planet may be small and insignificant, but a diamond is still a diamond no matter how many you have.

For me knowing astronomy means I know where I am. So many people don't realize where they are.!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #64056 by blackpig
Replied by blackpig on topic Re: Why are you fascinated by the night sky?
When I was a child in the 60s space exploration was all the rage - TV was full of it, science fiction was everywhere, people were disporting themselves on the moon and so on. Some of the byproducts of the space race began to filter down into common consumer products - microchips, l.e.d.s, velcro and even cordless drills. All of this made the 60s a very cool time to be a kid.

There were always books on science and astronomy in the house and I considered it quite normal at 8 or 9 to be reading about quantum physics and galaxies. (ok - I just looked at the pictures :wink: )

A few years ago I had to do an assignment for the Open University which involved measuring the distance to the moon by using a coin stuck to the end of a broom handle. When I had finished I stood outside looking up at the heavens and for the first time got an inkling of the vastness of our universe. I also came to realise that I was in a three-dimensional universe in which the sun and mooon were more than flat discs of light. It was a very heady and exilharating sensation.

• Euronymous
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 6 months ago #64058 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Why are you fascinated by the night sky?
All interesting stories. A lot of them revolve around a fascination at childhood, either through comics or tv shows, stories or films, or else from actually seeing the stars at night in the days when there was much less light pollution. It's important to keep children interested today, because that is the age at which when they are older they'll want to renew their childhood interests and make use of their adulthood with the ability to actually buy equipment and appreciate the wonders of the universe

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

More
16 years 6 months ago #64076 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Why are you fascinated by the night sky?
For me, these days I use astronomy to 'get out more' from 2 jobs that got me going days and nights (my sob story). I find it is a great way to spend some time away from it all, when well prepared of course. I got into it when I was around 7 originally, I saw Halley's Comet in '86. Then my first telescope when I was 11 got me into it more. Growing up during my teens, I saw it as a hobby different to those that other kids had. In the past few years I have even got my (now) wife into it more too! We enjoy bringin out hot chocolates at the end of a long day and sit on our camping chairs under the stars.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #64128 by jmcc5
The fact that the Universe is so vast and what we actually know you when you really think about it you could probably fit on a postage stamp.

There is so much yet undiscovered and when you look at the sky and if your lucky enough the silence surrounding you it's just mesmerizing

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
16 years 6 months ago #64143 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Why are you fascinated by the night sky?

Arvakr and Alsvinnr

(I was in Iceland last year.Visited the island of Papey.You could have knocked me over with a feather when they told me that it was named after the Irish monks who were living there when the Vikings first arrived. Papey=Fathers.)

wikimapia.org/6003461/Papey_island

The real question is :

Why are so many people NOT interseted in Astronomy.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds