K-Tec

Where is Albert?

More
16 years 6 months ago #64564 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Where is Albert?

He's gone to Australia to be at the awards ceremony in person!!!

Didn't realise he had finished it by now. Well done Al!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 6 months ago #64565 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Where is Albert?
He's in Australia on hols at the mo.

That explains that one. Thanks.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 6 months ago #64569 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Where is Albert?
When I saw the title of this post I thought it was a stand in for "Where's Wally?" the great picture hunt etc. i.e. find Albert White among thousands of other Amateur Irish Astronomers - sorry - imagination running wild. :D

Al did the MSc in Astronomy with the Swinbourne on-line courses. He's gone to Australia to be at the awards ceremony in person!!! Very nice ... he's taking in a bit of the country (continent?) while he's there.

My congrats to Al - well done!! :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 6 months ago #64650 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Where is Albert?
Thanks all. I finished up about a year ago with a couple of interesting units on pulsars. I deferred the award until I was able to travel over here to pick up the bit of paper in person. I'm currently in the YHA in Melbourne but will be back in time for COSMOS!

Good trip so far. The southern skies are amazing - and you don't need to travel far for a dark sky. The milky way from the southern cross back up to Taurus is great to see in binoculars - thanks for the suggestions of things to look at. The other astronomical highlight was getting to see the Parkes telescope. I managed to get a behind the scenes tour from one of the astronomers at Swinburne who was running experiments there the day I visited. I might have some photos at cosmos!

So far the wildlife has not tried to kill me, though there was a nice redback spider hiding in a bin at a campsite we stayed in last week. Noone other than me seemed bothered by that!

I probably wont be posting much for the next month or so but good luck with Earth Hour and I'll see some of you at COSMOS!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #64674 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Where is Albert?
Hi Al

Firstly, many congratulations on your hard earned achievement; we now have a pulsar expert on the forum we can annoy with silly questions :lol: . Looking forward to seeing pictures of your trip and of course any astronomical pictures of the southern skies, perhaps if you have time could you place a few pictures on Flickr website?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 6 months ago #64776 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Where is Albert?
Good to see you Albert.

Watch out for the drop bears.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds