Death-Star cometh

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 6 months ago #65124 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Death-Star cometh
I don't think even a supernova, as massive as this system is, is capable of creating the OMG particle. The worst we would have to worry about would be gamma rays. It would take something like a giant radio galaxy to produce an OMG particle (however Fly's Eye didn't indicate that it came from any known possible source, so maybe a few of these particles are capable of being created in a SN event - but the maths and physics doesn't add up - yet).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #65127 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Death-Star cometh
John,

A huge thanks for the heads up surrounding a potential imaging opportunity! I have a webpage dedicated to Wolf-Rayet stars - www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-Wolf-Rayet.htm - and with many targets to be visited this summer and which I now have updated to also include this particular object.

Be well!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 6 months ago #65128 by JohnMurphy
No problem Anto, your at a better lattitude to see anything in Sagitarius than we are - go get 'er.
Love the images BTW.
Anybody wondering what Anthony is trying to image, well here is an animated Gif covering about 3 epochs of data:

Anthony, unless you've installed a new BIG BIG scope I don't think you'll catch this one. The image above measures less than 1/10 arcsec. It was taken by the Keck. See the following link: www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~gekko/wr104.html

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 6 months ago #65130 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: Death-Star cometh

Looks like the duck and cover strategy wont work for this particle. :shock:

"The side of the Earth facing the gamma ray burst would experience something like getting irradiated by a not-too-distant nuclear explosion...".

So, if we can get some kind of warning I'm off to the other side, wherever that may be... :?

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 6 months ago #65131 by JohnMurphy

Looks like the duck and cover strategy wont work for this particle. :shock:

"The side of the Earth facing the gamma ray burst would experience something like getting irradiated by a not-too-distant nuclear explosion...".

So, if we can get some kind of warning I'm off to the other side, wherever that may be... :?

First thing you know would be that its already happened - there'd be no warning, and no hiding. After stripping about 25% of the ozone layer, the real stress on planet earth would only start, a lot of the worlds vegetation would die off first leading to global famine etc. Lets just hope that the axis of spin is not aimed directly at us, even a degree or two over the distance from us would make the difference between extinction and a non-event.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 6 months ago #65132 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Death-Star cometh

The image above measures less than 1/10 arcsec.

Now you tell me! :shock: :mrgreen: :oops:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds