• Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 5 months ago #65922 by albertw
IFI to screen stunning moon images was created by albertw
apologies if this was posted before

www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0401/ifi.html

In a world cinema exclusive, the Irish Film Institute (IFI) will screen new high definition TV images from the moon as part of its Education Programme.

The images, taken by the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) within the last few weeks, include remarkable pictures of the 'Earth Rise' and the 'terminator', the line where the moon's day and night sides meet.

IFI Education will be screening the new footage as an introduction to the documentary feature 'In the Shadow of the Moon', which brings together most of the surviving members of the Apollo missions.
Advertisement

The film will be introduced with a specially filmed address from Harrison Hagan 'Jack' Schmitt, (born 3 July, 1935), an American geologist, former NASA astronaut and US Senator, and the twelfth person to walk on the moon.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 5 months ago #65923 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
As far as I know these screenings, which are country wide, are targeted toward leaving cert history students. Apollo is on the leaving cert paper, seeing this film would help students understand the context of the achievements of these wonderful men.

Check out the list of venues and check with the IFI to see if there are places available
indeed if there are any left at this time. It seems to be well booked by enlightened schools. I was privileged to see it on Monday morning and give a little pep talk afterwards to a couple of hundred teenagers from several schools. The JAXA images are surreal.

For the first time in my life I wanted to do the leaving cert again 8-)

Public Relations Officer IFAS
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
Oscail do Shuile D'iontas na Cruinne
Open Your Eyes to the Wonder of the Universe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds