K-Tec

I've recently returned from Farthings in Selsey Sir P. M.

• radioactive
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
16 years 5 months ago #66674 by radioactive
Hello all I thought you may wish to have a look at a couple of video's .One made of stills depicting the work carried out revamping the famous domed Observatory, used in many of "The Sky At Night " tv programmes myself and a group of like minded astronomers went down to his house last Friday until Monday morning and carried out the work.You get to see the progress and some good shots of his famous study where he often interviews his guests over the last 50 years. As you will see Sir Patrick was around whilst we were working away and also we chatted for many hours with him in his study in the evenings. pn the soundtrack/narration is a little on the poor side but still worth a listen here is that link.

Now the other link is a live recording made over the weekend its about 25Mb
the link puts you onto an AS page you need to scroll down and click on the movie camera icon to see the video here is that link :-
www.rkas.org.uk/

Martyn

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF MANKIND A TRULY DIVERSE LIFEFORM !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 5 months ago #66675 by DaveGrennan
Martyn, Congrats to you and the guys for a wonderful job done. Carl O'Beirnes and myself were there last February and we both commented on how in need of repair the big old observatory was. You have done a great service not just to Patrick but to astronomy by helping to preserve this iconic symbol.

While there I met two of your guys and I thought I saw them in the photos. I sorry their names escape me now but I do remember them saying they lived locally.

I know Patrick suffered a big shock when his friend Arthur C Clarke passed on. I hope he is managing to recover from the distress of this. As you say in the video, his hospitality is absolutely immense. Its hard to imagine how he could be more welcoming.

Anyway once again I offer sincerest congrats to your guys for what you have done. I have no doubt that Patrick and all who care about the big man deeply appreciate what you guys have done.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• radioactive
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
16 years 5 months ago #66677 by radioactive
Thanks very much for your comments Dave I think the two people you have recognised will be Trevor and Ed . They lived approximately 30 miles away from Selsey but are often both using the Observatories at Farthings. Oh by the way Pete Lawrence also came over for an hour or two. He as you know lives in Selsey another one of my hero's is Pete. I love his images he produces absolute stunners in my humble opinion.
We are going back to do the finishing off and the other obs on the week end of the 18th May. I can let Patrick know we have chatted on here so as to speak lol.
cheers
Martyn.

Martyn

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 5 months ago #66680 by carlobeirnes
HI Matyn,

Absolutely fantastic work. The observatory looks great you can see how happy Sir Patrick is. Well done to all involved.

Ps,
Pass on our best to Patrick. :wink:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
16 years 5 months ago #66702 by dogstar

It's people like you Martyn that make me proud to be a member also.
And thanks for sharing,oh cool forum by the way, iv'e just joined.Be
talking to you soon.

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds