• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #67828 by pj30something
A suggestion about hosting off-site images was created by pj30something
Just a suggestion:

Why not make it a rule that ALL images (apart from avatars) are hosted online and linked to. I know some people dont like clicking links to find images for one reason or another but think of the savings. Offsite linking to pics also allows pics to be seen in larger format then if posted directly into a thread here...............thus showing the image as the photographer wanted it to be seen.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67833 by voyager
It's a lot easier to talk about an image if you can see it. That's why we want the images in the thread. However, there are people on dialup who don't have a lot of bandwidth and when images get too big they distort the layout of the site.

There is nothing stopping people posting links. But they can also post a reasonably small image in the post to give the discussion some context. All in all I think we can't say fairer than that.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #67839 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: A suggestion about hosting off-site images
It's a lot easier to talk about an image if you can see it.

I agree. It IS easier for people to understand a picture if they can see it and a description of it on the same page.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #67855 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: A suggestion about hosting off-site images

However, there are people on dialup who don't have a lot of bandwidth and when images get too big they distort the layout of the site.

You get what you pay for - why should the rest of us suffer because a small proportion of Internet subscribers can't get broadband? This is a poor excuse for IFAS to submit - fact is you dont have the bandwidth or hosting space required to make the site work to its full capability. Why not ask all affiliations for support? I don't think that any club would not be willing to support IFAS commensurate with it's claimed membership numbers (ooops I forgot about AI maybe???). Or - maybe a small subscription from all who want to contribute would be fairer, say €10 per annum?

PS. I'm not having a go at Artificial or Assumed Intelligence or even Artificial Insemination for that that matter.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 4 months ago #67857 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: A suggestion about hosting off-site images

However, there are people on dialup who don't have a lot of bandwidth and when images get too big they distort the layout of the site.

fact is you dont have the bandwidth or hosting space required to make the site work to its full capability.

err...that's missing the point. The images in the posts which are hosted off-site still need to meet these requirements. Images hosted off-site do not have any effect on our bandwidth or hosting service. Policies such as this are common on sites like this to ensure the site is inclusive of everyone. Cloudy Nights have a similar policy as alot of their users are still on dial-up (even in the US). The fact remains that vast areas of this country are not served by broadband for reasons beyond our control.

FWIW, the web team are currently working hard on a new design of the site which will increase the features & functionality of the site (increased features for articles, news, web-links, calendar, etc). The hosting of the site has also been changed over to a new server in the last few days (special thanks to Darragh for this) - this was needed due to the increasing level of traffic which the site attracts.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67858 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: A suggestion about hosting off-site images
Michael,

I wasn't having a go a IFAS I think you guys do a fantastic job. What I was suggesting is that the site could use some proper funding from users of the site. This would ensure that at least there would be some readies to help offset the cost of the improvements that are constantly made - including bandwidth etc.

As for users bandwidth - do a poll - ask how many regular contributors are stuck with Dial Up (and why? i.e. not available or just wont pay for it?). Might be interesting results one way or another.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds