• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #68747 by John37309
BOINC project; MilkyWay@home was created by John37309

Irelandboinc.com science project of the month June 2008 - MilkyWay@home

Irelandboinc.com project of the month for June 2008 is MilkyWay@home. More information, help and support is avalable for this project on the the website; www.irelandboinc.com

This project is similar in nature to science projects like SETI@home, Rosetta@home, ClimatePrediction.net and World Community Grid. But all BOINC projects are completely independent from each other, they just use the same software to carry out the computation.

About MilkyWay@home

Milkyway@home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in modeling and determining the evolution of the Milkyway galaxy. You can participate by downloading the BOINC software and attaching your computer to the project.
Milkyway@home is based at the Rensselaer Computer Science Department in New York. This particular project is being developed to better understand the power of volunteer computing resources.

The astronomy application attempts to discover various structures existing in the Milky Way galaxy and their spatial distribution. This requires a probabilistic algorithm for locating geometric objects in spatial databases. The data being analyzed is from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which has recently released 10 terabytes of images and spectra in online catalogs.

This project is only running a short time and is still in its early stages. The project might not have a constant stream of work units avalable and you will need to check your BOINC manager software from time to time and see the project is running OK. Updates and info about this project will be posted on the Irelandboinc.com website.

Getting started and joining team Ireland

You can use the following details to get started on this project.

MilkyWay@home. Project URL; milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/

Support for Irish participants.

Support and information for Irish participants in this project, and all BOINC science projects is provided on the Irelandboinc.com website; www.irelandboinc.com

Please do join team Ireland on this science project and any BOINC project you run.

Spread the word!

If you know others, friends or family that would be interested in this project, send them a link to this message and get them involved!

Thank you, and enjoy the science!
John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #68749 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: BOINC project; MilkyWay@home
Hey i will participate. I have had SETI@HOME running on my PC for about 5 yrs now.

It has never slowed my system or infected it in any way.

This is just an new project using the same infrastructure.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #68760 by John37309
Replied by John37309 on topic Re: BOINC project; MilkyWay@home
Thanks PJ,
It will be good to have you aboard the team Buddy! :D

John.

More
16 years 3 months ago #68762 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: BOINC project; MilkyWay@home
Paddy there is no need to spam the boards with the different projects that Bionic support.

One link tells us everything we need to know.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #71508 by John37309
Replied by John37309 on topic Re: BOINC project; MilkyWay@home
Team Ireland done very well on MilkyWay@home for the month we ran this project.

Team totals when starting - 26th May 2008;
Total Credit; 34,868
RAC; 14
No. of members; 1

Please feel free to chat about the project in this message!

John.

LATER EDIT: Team totals when Finishing - 30th June 2008;
Total Credit; 128,428
RAC; 3,337
No. of members; 13

We made it into the top 60 teams in the world while the project was running, and that's not easy to do. Science and astronomy projects seem to be more popular in other countries.

Well done and thank you to everybody who crunched for the project!.

This months project is more about finding cures for protein related diseases and may not draw the same interest. Next time we have an astronomy project for project of the month, i will post it here again.

Thanks to all,
John.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds