K-Tec

Hard times

More
15 years 11 months ago #73856 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Hard times
Interesting.
I never used the new thread notifications coz it used to clutter up my email.
I just logged in when I was on the net and clicked 'new posts since last visit' which I found was perfect.
I guess the 'recent posts' link is kinda the same though it doesn't
track which posts you've already read. (or am I wrong)
If it did it would be the same thing.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #73867 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:Hard times

With respect to clouds and the increasing numbers over the last few years - the solar wind is recorded at its lowest in 50 years (since records began). This has a direct impact on cloud formation as its now proposed that gamma rays have a cloud seeding effect, and with the heliosphere weakened more gamma rays hit the earth. Lets hope the new solar cycle speeds up a little and clearer skies are on the way.

That had me thinkin' John, I wonder do the severe lack of sunspots have a direct effect on cloud formation i.e. more clouds I remember some months ago briefly listening to the television when it was suggested so : angry: comon Sun, wake the hell up :woohoo:

Keith..

More
15 years 11 months ago #73871 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Hard times
ayiomamitis wrote:

I agree with you on both counts. For example, there is now a frequent supply of Astro-Physics refractors and equatorial mounts.

Have you seen the price of some of the big dobs there :ohmy: , a 18" scope for 3500$, if there only someway of transporting it across the atlantic, thats for half nothing.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 11 months ago #73875 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Hard times
Matthew C wrote:

Hi all. Ive been thinking recently that what with this credit crunch, whether people are having to make a sacrifice with their beloved hobby in order to have the bare necessities. Every day i see more and more people selling their kit and packing up. Prices are plummeting on gear that is worth far more. Like on astrobuysell there are scopes going for next to nothing and many sellers are going all out and out of astronomy. its a sad thing to see. Bla...bla...bla

Depressing times indeed. With the banks not willing to lend to each other and 100% mortgages out of fashion... I don't suppose I could apply to you for a little unsecured loan to buy a 42" Obsession, could I? :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo:

Hope that raises a smile!

Phil.

More
15 years 10 months ago #73998 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Re:Hard times
Surprised that the powers that be didn't tax us in the recent budget on every inch of apperture we have.
(should that be aperture)

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds