M.Sc. by distance learning

• Equinox
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 11 months ago #73822 by Equinox
M.Sc. by distance learning was created by Equinox
Does anyone know of any place that does an astronomy masters other than the Open University and the University of Swinburne? I've found one at the University of South Africa but I want to see what else is out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #73823 by pablod72
Replied by pablod72 on topic Re:M.Sc. by distance learning
I'm not sure but i think that James Cook university from Australia have some online stuff

More
15 years 11 months ago #73825 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:M.Sc. by distance learning
JCU's program is a bit more limited imho.

Then again I'm a Swinburne grad :-)

You need to do 6 units with only one option www.jcu.edu.au/school/mathphys/astronomy/msubjects.shtml With SAO you do 12 out of 16 astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/students/units.xml

Is the OU Masters in Astronomy or does it just have a couple of astronomy modules?

I don't know anywhere else that offers an online MSc in astronomy.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Equinox
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 11 months ago #73934 by Equinox
Replied by Equinox on topic Re:M.Sc. by distance learning
Hmmm, they're both a bit pricey. And I think the open university only does a masters of science. But I can't apply there anyway because I only have a 2.2.

Albert, do you know if people likely to accept a masters done by distance learning as easily as they would one done in a college? I want to do a PhD afterwards.

More
15 years 11 months ago #73936 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:M.Sc. by distance learning
Equinox wrote:

Hmmm, they're both a bit pricey. And I think the open university only does a masters of science. But I can't apply there anyway because I only have a 2.2.

Albert, do you know if people likely to accept a masters done by distance learning as easily as they would one done in a college? I want to do a PhD afterwards.

It depends. I was offered the oppertunity to look at doing a PhD and I know some people who have gone onto PhD's from doing online masters. But in general the online masters are taught rather than by research & thesis; though there is scope for some research with the SAO program. So you may be limited in where will accept you for a PhD and in what fields.

The best thing I can suggest is that you drop an email to Sarah Maddison, who is the SAO coordinator (smaddison_at_swin.edu.au). She should be able to give you real advice about how useful online courses are for PhD's and careers in astronomy. Tell her I said 'Hi' :-)

Cheers,
~Albert White

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 10 months ago #73975 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re:M.Sc. by distance learning
Re: online astronomey. I graduated with a Masters with Uni.Western Sydney UWS in 2002. They stopped the programme in 2002. Most of the astronomers there went to JCU. UWS offered me to do a PhD. Because I was interested in Planeatry Science I was accepted for a PhD with Open Uni. 2003. I don't know any other Unis for online astronomy Masters or PhDs.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds