• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #74025 by lunartic_old
Import Taxes was created by lunartic_old
Hi there

If this question has been asked a hundred times before, then kick me the next time you see me.

When ordering from the States, is taxes and dutoes paid on the cost of postage as well as the purchase?

Though with the resurging US Dollar I don't think we'll be buying too much from over there for some time.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by lunartic_old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #74031 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Import Taxes
Yea,
Tax is paid on the total amount quoted on the package and that includes the postage, well, atleast for me it has.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 10 months ago #74039 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Import Taxes
As noted, they will ding you on everything which includes the declared value, shipping and insurance fees.

One way to bypass the problem with the eroding value of the euro (1.26 USD/EUR on Friday) is to lock up a few dollars and keep them stashed for future purchases. The euro should continue to weaken in anticipation of interest rate reductions over the next few weeks and months. Although this is also true for the US, they have much less room for reductions since their interest rate is at 1.50% and in contrast to ours which is 3.50% or 3.75% (I do not remember which of the two).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds