K-Tec

HUBBLE FINDS 'TENTH PLANET' IS SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN PLUTO

More
18 years 6 months ago #26552 by dave_lillis
Under what qualifications are Xena, Sedna and Quaoar (what a name!) not planets given that pluto is ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #26556 by voyager

Under what qualifications are Xena, Sedna and Quaoar (what a name!) not planets given that pluto is ?

Becasue the IAU havn't said they are. ATM the definition of a planet is "if we say it's one it's one, otherwise it isn't"

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #26557 by dave_lillis
Dont you just love the scientific thinking behind that mentality. :lol:

An even bigger problem they have is properly designating extra solar planets in a manner that relates them to their parent star. apparently at the moment its some non descript catalogue number :?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #26561 by Seanie_Morris
I've just read somewhere too that Xena is the second brightest object in the Solar System after Saturns moon, Enceladus. It must be covered in clean, primordial ice all over - this could be its first trip this close to the Sun.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 6 months ago #26566 by albertw

I've just read somewhere too that Xena is the second brightest object in the Solar System after Saturns moon, Enceladus. It must be covered in clean, primordial ice all over - this could be its first trip this close to the Sun.

From Terrys email last night perhaps? :-)

5. SMALL BUT SHINY XENA.
The outer Solar System continues to surprise and amaze! On top of all the incredible pictures of Saturn's moons from Cassini, it has now been found that 'Planet X', officially still called 2003 UB313, but generally dubbed as Xena, is almost the most reflective object in the Solar System - second only to Enceladus. It lies about three times as far from the Sun as Pluto, and its brightness suggested it was considerably larger than Pluto. But discoverer Mike Brown and colleagues have analysed Hubble images taken in December 2005 to reveal Xena's size as 2400 kilometres (+/- 100) - only about 5% larger than Pluto’s 2290 kilometres. Xena's brightness, yet small size, means that it must reflect about 86% of the sunlight falling on it. Spectra suggest its surface is covered with methane.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds