• IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
18 years 5 months ago #27625 by DeirdreKelleghan
IAS Sun Moon and Stars for Chernobyl Team was created by DeirdreKelleghan

Irish Astronomical Society Sun Moon and Stars for Chernobyl Team
Deirdre Kelleghan, Val Dunne, Patricia Carroll, John O'Neill,
John Murphy, Sarah Murphy and Liam Smyth

I think we had about 120 people between Friday and Saturday evening.I was to busy talking to people to notice how many were there.

We showed people the first quarter moon, the planet Saturn and two of its Moons and the planet Jupiter and four of its Moons, so people were knocked out to see two planets and seven moons in one evening.

Some people came back on the second night and it was great to be able to show them how the
Galilean moons had changed their positions in their orbit, from the perfect alignment of Friday evening.

We had a force 4 breeze of the sea on both evenings,and just 9 degrees.I guess more people would have been out walking on a warmer evening.I know looking over water is not the best way to show celestial objects, but it was about bringing astronomy to the people,also Sandymount is full of lights and a neon garage just beside the site as well. :D

Saturday we only had the Moon and Jupiter to show as Saturn was obscured by cloud and we were completely clouded out by 22:10, but people still stopped an had a chat and donated to the charity. We had a totally unobscured view Jupiter over the sea.

We gave out Sun, Moon, Stars, Saturn and Jupiter information sheets along with Chernobyl Children's Project information.

Many thanks to everyone who helped out on both evenings and a big thanks to those of you who donated by credit card.

We raised 350 Euro between the two evenings or the total of three hours we were set up. So I think we had a sucessful Astronomy Day and a sucessful event for the Chernobyl Children's Project International.

We also had the President of the Warren Rupp Observatory in Ohio collecting donations for the Chernobyl Project on her Astronomy day event in her Observatory a very nice gesture indeed. So some dollars coming this way to add to our efforts.

Perhaps next year other clubs and societies under the IFAS umbrella will join in and make it a nationwide effort on Astronomy Day 2007.

What do you think out there ?

Deirdre Kelleghan
Public Relations Officer
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds