K-Tec

New South Dublin Astronomical Society Website

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 3 months ago #30443 by albertw
New South Dublin Astronomical Website - this may not be news to many of you since it has been online for a couple of months as we have been testing and adding content.

There is a new SDAS website now up and running at www.southdublinastronomy.org . We have decided to go with a wiki based system this time, so anyone can contribute to the site.

Since SDAS is mainly an observational group we want to have a very observational focus to the site. To that end we have started compiling an observational guide to the messier objects and the modern constellations . We have also added the Irish Astronomical Dictionary which we know will be of interest to some of you. Sections for other pages will appear later, but we wanted to focus minds on these areas first! Of course if you want to start a page on your favorite aspect of astronomy feel free to start a page !

There are other excellent resources online for information on the messier catalogue. Foremost being SEDS and wikipedia. However these tend to focus more on the detailed and technical aspects of the objects, rather than most observers questions of, for example, 'What can I expect to see of M35 in binoculars?'.

You will notice that some of the messier objects pages already have some explanatory text, a starmap, and images. Many do not. And that's where you all come in! You can register with the site and then make any changes you like! If you would like to add information on what can bee seen in M85 and what equipment is needed then please just log in and write! If you have an image for an object that currently doesn't have one then upload it! Don't worry about breaking the site, even if you delete a page by accident the web team can easily restore it. So be bold!

This might sound a bit of a risky way to run a website, but to date our spam protection measures have ensured that the ability to edit the site has not been abused. The web team are notified of all changes and so can quickly react to any vandalising changes made to the site.

So browse through the site, and please feel free to add content as you go!

Cheers,
~Al (SDAS web guy)

p.s. For the technically curious... the site is ran using Mediawiki, which is the same software that powers wikipedia. The starmaps were created using pp3, also the same software used by the constellation section of wikipedia and some of the IFAS handbooks. Spam is controlled by the spam blacklist plugin for mediawiki, we periodically sync the wikipedia blacklist of banned url's with the sdas site. To test this we have had the site operational for the past few months and have only had one incident of spam in that time. Unfortunately its not possible to implement the equation editor on the sdas site due to hosting provider restrictions, however the workaround is to create the equation in wikipedia then upload the image to the sdas site.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #30455 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: New South Dublin Astronomical Society Website
Outstanding. Am an big advocate of this approach. Its an excellent method for a dispersed community to cooperate and build something of worth. I believe IFAS is missing a big opportunity in not implementing something similar.

Its going to be interesting to watch how it develops.
I hope it goes well for you.

JMP

More
18 years 3 months ago #30456 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New South Dublin Astronomical Society Website

I believe IFAS is missing a big opportunity in not implementing something similar.

Oh it will! The site is in "behind the scenes revamp" mode. The new site will be incorporating a Wiki. The Web Team hops to reveal all by the end of the summer.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 3 months ago #30501 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: New South Dublin Astronomical Society Website
Great site lads, a job weldone!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds